Bass Sackbutt in F

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Jan 29, 2010.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

On the off-chance that anyone here might be in a position to help...

I've been booked for a gig on bass sackbutt [that's a Renaissance-style bass trombone for those who may not have heard the word before] on Friday 5th March in Oxford. The catch is that we are having difficulty sourcing an instrument - there are not many around!

Last week I thought we'd solved the problem when a local player was found who had one and was willing to lend it, albeit under difficult conditions, but, after a week's delay, he's just told me that he's now unwilling to lend it, frustratingly.

Ideally, we would be looking to borrow the instrument from now until the concert, but this is flexible - I can use a narrow-bore G bass for rehearsals in the absence of an authentic instrument. A small amount of money is available for hire, should it be needed - in the region of £50 only, I'm afraid. Obviously insurance would be taken out to cover the instrument while it was in my possession.

Any ideas, please drop me a message or ring me - 01865 717765.

Ta!

2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Email sent!

3. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

My friend,Derek Roebuck (ex G Trom Brighouse,Mirlees and Ferodo ) told me that a local instrument dealer bought all the G troms he could get and converted them to sackbuts. Don t ask me why or how but its true.

4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

local to where?

That sounds helpful......

I've got an F bass trom in high pitch you can borrow if it's any use.

5. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

bass sackbutt

I know that huddersfield university have a set of sackbutts that they regularly use for renaissance performances if any use?

6. Trum

Trum Member

The bass sackbut at hudds is in C so not any good. Not to mention ****** awful.

7. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

sounded alright when i played it ....... lol

8. STUART HAIGH

STUART HAIGH Member

Sorry...local to us in Huddersfield area...just pointing out that hundreds of these things are in circulation...It s criminal Sawing up all the Gtroms to make sackbutts...should be a hanging offence !

9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

On that we can agree....

10. Trum

Trum Member

Nout wrong with the sound but the design is appalling for holding, jagged metal does not a good handle make

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    F On
    Renaissance
    Bass Sackbutt
    Oxford
    narrow-bore G bass
  12. MoominDave

Problem solved, Duncan's suggestion came good. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

Is the Huddersfield university one in low CC, then? Wouldn't that make it a contrabass?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  13. Mujician

Mujician Member

My friend has one in F, and its a very good one. He would hire it out Im sure.

14. MoominDave

Thanks for the contact, but I'm sorted now - I've got the free use of one that lives only 5 miles away - a lucky outcome!

15. MoominDave

They should be sent to the Oxford Retirement Home for Underappreciated Trombones. My four are getting lonely.