Bass players.....what car??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassmittens, Jul 2, 2007.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Fellow bass players!

Short of our 'hitting' friends behind us we have one of the most awkward instruments to transport. I will soon be looking for a new car and wondered what the rest of you have that allows the practical transportation of your instrument?

I currently have a 2001 (new shape) Laguna which is the only car i've found that allows me to put my Eb bass in the boot in a hard case and fully close it while keeping the parcel shelf in.

Any one else got hints or tips for other models of cars that would allow a similar level of ease without going as large as an estate car or transit van!

Many thanks in advance!

2. bigcol

bigcol Member

My Vectra (new shape) fits an Eb bass sovereign/yamaha in no bother, and also a Yamaha BBb bass. Great car too.

3. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

You think you have problems! We both play bass (one of each!) and I have been seriously contemplating contacting "Top Gear" for advice - something that is not too dreary, can take two basses and pull a band trailer!

The Espace was great but now that it is only us at home (at one point we had to take a household of seven (two basses, euph, trom, horn & two cornets) to band!) it was a bit excessive and we have a Renault Scenic - all I can say is don't! It is under-powered for the trailer and uncomfortable.

Any suggestions for improvement - the Scenic is starting to make expensive-sounding noises - gratefully received!!

4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Mmm! Two people getting shot of their Renaults. I had a Laguna for about a year and it turned out to be the most unreliable heap of junk I've ever had the misfortune of owning. I'm not a bass player, but used to share lifts over to Soham with one. I found that the Nissan Primera my wife had at the time to have an excellent boot. My own car at that time was a Rover 800 and I could get a BBb in the boot with no problems!

I don't for one minute suggest you trawl ebay for an old Rover, though! One of the bass players in GUS has a company Skoda Octavia estate and the boot is huge. He can get two basses in with room to spare.

Hope you find what you're looking for. You could always go round the car dealers with your instrument and check for compatibility. You never know, the salesman might think you're insane and give you a better deal out of sympathy!:biggrin:

ps. Don't do what I did; bought a new Citroen C2 and was then booked to do a BBC Prom on Trombone, Euphonium and Bass Trumpet in the same piece. Fee was good, though!

5. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

We have had a Focus Estate for some years now and that is no problem!

Prior to that a bog standard Mondeo hatchback did the business. However, these have probably changed since then. We always take my bass case with us when visiting the forecourt. It certainly creates a talking point!

I regularly used to travel around in a Fiat Cinquecento with one passenger, Eb bass, Euphonium and Trombone.

Good Luck

6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ive an Audi S4 Estate and I can fit my EEb Bass and also my BBb Bass in the boot. (altho the BBb is minus its case, as I usually cart the BBb without the case anyway).

Its got a slide parcel shelf and it covers the BBb Bass completly when Ive just got that in itself, so nobody knows its there!! So I would imagine an EEb with a gig bag would be covered also!

IMO I think the Audi A4/S4 is the smartest estate car on the market, and way nicer than the saloon! (Theres a picture of my car here!)

Estate cars arent that much bigger/longer than their equivelent saloon cars anyway.

7. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Ive got a BM 1 series, the Bb with or without case one half of the split rear seats has to come down. great car though!

8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

There is nothing wrong with my Laguna - i do about 35'000 PA it's done 113'000 miles in total and not a problem and it's so comfy - although i have read about some of the problems they've had! I think they must make a lot of Laguna's on a Friday - i seem to have got one made on a Tuesday tho!

I just fancy a change, but if i can't get one that does what i want them i'll stick with the old work-horse of a Laguna.

Cheers for the suggestions so far - keep 'em coming!

9. MartinT

MartinT Member

I can fit my Besson 994 BBb crosswise, in its case, in the back of my Volvo 850 estate - just. If I want to load it fore-and-aft, I have to put part of the rear seat down.
    In retrospect, I might have been better off with a Volvo 940 estate (longer load platform, might have been able to load the BBb fore-and-aft with all seats up), but it's not really a problem.

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

My Bb bass will fit in the boot of my Laguna under the parcel shelf as long as its not in its case.

Am considering changing the Laguna for a Land Rover Discovery. Don't think I will have an issue fitting the bass in!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Eb
    Laguna
    new car
    estate car
  12. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

I've got a mondeo estate (04 reg) and that fits 2 basses, a euph, horn and cornet in the boot no probs, all in hard cases.

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I manage to get my EEb (in a soft case) across the back seats of my Mazda RX8 - the suicide doors give plenty and easy access to the back seats. Have occassional used the hard case but is scuffs the leather interior and the rear centre consoles not very happy with the hard case.

At a push can still transport me, tuba and two deps. Tuba can also go in foot well of passenger seat (two passengers then go in back).

14. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Wooo! Another RX-8 driver! I just got mine last week - it's all so novel! Although I probably wouldn't want to try getting a bass in the back:eek: And you've no chance of getting one in the boot! My horn fits quite happily into the stepped section of the boot in its hardcase.
    I did have a Land Rover Defender - yes I know; one extreme to another - and that would have fit probably half the bandroom in the back!
    I've have two Renault Clios and agree with the other people - I think they only make them on Fridays! Biggest piles of junk I've ever had the misfortune to drive!
    Good luck with the search!

15. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I recently got a Ciroen Picasso which is the first car I've managed to get my fully clothed EEb into. Nice to have the back seat free for the mother in law....... mmmmmmm maybe I should change it again!

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Errr CITROEN, sorry forgot the fingering again

17. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

I have a 307, and BBb fits in boot in Gig Bag, with parcel shelf in place...

Also fits EEb in boot in hard case with parcel shelf in place...
    + Euphonium And 2 Others Things ( Cornets ) That Belong On A Key Fob..

18. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

A person from out band fits his BBb into his care hesB got the new Ford focus! Also another person had a Ford focus estate and it fits in both of them easy!

19. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I have a Honda CRV...plenty of room for everything.

20. blueandwhiteforever

blueandwhiteforever New Member

Don't tell my band this, but my Bb Bass goes into my boot. I only have an Renault Clio. Of course, the case gets left at the bandhall, but the very tight nature of the fit of the instrument means that there is no movement at all.

21. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Me too - Sovereign Eb plus hard case in the boot no bother.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Eb
    Laguna
    new car
    estate car