Bass Player looking for Band in South Wales Valleys

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by DLayne, Oct 15, 2007.

1. DLayne

DLayne New Member

For quite a few years now Ive been thinking about buying myself a tuba, and getting back into practice with a view to joining a band. However, it has only really been in the last few months or so that I have really been in a position to give it serious consideration - so I figure that now is as good a time as any to start looking round for brass/wind bands in the local area. :D

I started playing the Eb tuba in primary school, and continued through secondary school (only giving up because the local education authority wouldn't give tuition beyond GCSE to non-music students). Rotherham had an excellent series of school bands for students to pass through, and by the time I finished secondary school I had risen to principal tuba player in the Rotherham Schools Concert Band (whilst continuing to assist the Junior and Intermediate bands).

As I am very obviously out of practice (15+ years!) I was hoping to find a local band who would be happy to give me time to 'find my feet' once again, as well as provide advice on getting hold of a decent second hand instrument. I was hoping to find a band within 30 minutes drive - which covers most of the South Wales valleys, Cardiff and Newport.

Many thanks for any assistance.

David Layne
  2. Di

Di Active Member

Hi David and :hi to tMP. Good to see someone coming back into banding.

I'm sure you will have some positive replies fairly soon.

Good luck. :)
  3. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

You don't say where you are, but if you're anywhere near Llandrindod Wells we're always looking for players! You'd be very welcome on a Wednesday evening between 7pm and 8.30pm
  4. DLayne

DLayne New Member

Oooops :oops: - knew I had forgotten something!

I live in Blaina, which is 2 miles north of Abertillery and 5 miles from Ebbw Vale. Its only 5 minutes drive to the 'Heads of the Valleys' road - and from there its 10 minutes to Abergavenny and 20 mins to Methyr. Routes to the south - Newport is 20-25 mins drive, and Cardiff is 40-45 minutes drive (to the centre).

Sadly Llandrindod Wells is a little further than I was thinking about driving (the AA site reckons an hour journey each way!).

I will keep it in mind if I cant find anything closer - however I have to locate a decent second hand instrument first! :rolleyes:

< Rushes off to check the 'Classifieds' section >
  5. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Markham Band based in Cefn Fforest, Blackwood are looking for Bass Players. Rehearse Sunday 6.30pm-8.30pm and Tuesday 7.30pm-9.30pm. Great Bunch of people 1st Section, VERY friendly, you will be made very welcome there.
  6. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

PS Markham have got instruments also
  7. PM Sent with details of Cross Keys Band
  8. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Pontypool band are also very close to you and would welcome new players with open arms.

I'll PM you contact details