Bass on the Bus?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Here's a logistical problem for you.

B flat bass player needs to take a bass home to practice, but does not drive and lives not very near other members of band. Current rehearsal schedule:

Tuesday: Band A (Contesting) 8:00 to 10:00 Bus then car to get there, car then bus to get back.

Wednesday: Band B (Non-Con) 7:30 to 9:00 Use different bass. Tram to get there, can usually get a lift all the way back from people with small cars, or use tram again.

Thursday: Band A (Contesting) Temporary extra rehearsals. Same travel as Tuesday.

Sunday: Band B 5:00 till 7:00, then Band A 7:15 to 9:15. No problem getting between them.

Need to practise. Cavendish Suite and Anglian Dances are difficult. Any suggestions as to most logical place in which to take a bass home from the schedule above?
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Two bands and home practise - simple maths really get 3 basses. Have a word tonight we might have a spare somewhere that you can take to leave at home.
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The other alternative is - don't practice at home! :eek::eek::eek:

These days, I don't know how any bass player can get around on public transport. The buses round here won't even take an Eb through the doors, let a lone a BB.

Let's start a campaign - if they want us to give up our cars, make the ****** buses big enough and roomy enough for our instruments!:ranting2: :ranting2:

Also make them run on time, take convenient routes, have drivers who have the right change, don't get stuck because of the wrong snow/leaves/sunshine etc.....:ranting2:
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I have on occasions had to manhandle a bass on a bus - fortunately an Eb, rather than Bb - but it's no joke, whether in or out of its case. The problem is, the case makes it very bulky, but if it's loose you're bound to get someone wanting to have a blow, particularly late at night once people come out of the pub :icon_frown:

Best solution would be to borrow a spare one to leave at home, as suggested above. Alternatively, is there any chance of putting some time in at one of the bandrooms either before or after practice?
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I was going to suggest the - get to band early with the key and do half an hour before rehearsal - it will be quiet and you will not be distracted by other things (like tMP) at home
  6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Managed to borrow one to keep at home. Flatmates are going to get fed up of Cavendish Suite over the next 2 weeks.
  7. timbloke

timbloke Member

Daniel, why don't you learn to drive and buy a car? or do you have access to a bass at school, or somewhere to store one? you could get some practice in then. Or finally find a band in easier commuting distance, I can think of a first section band in sheffield on the look out for a BBb :icon_wink: , come down for a blow if you're free.
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That's the last time we let you come to Killamarsh and play 3rd cornet - obvious ulterior motive - just to sit near BBb basses and entice them away to the heady delights of the 1st section.
  9. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Would you get in a car if I was driving, Tim?
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Back in the 1960's when we had double decker buses which loaded at the back, I used to put my EEb Bass (Cloth cover) under the stairs in the luggage space on the back platform, and go and sit upstairs.
    Twice I got off the bus and watched it continue down the road as the horrible realisation that I had left the bass under the stairs dawned on me - a horrible feeling.
    I then had to sweat it out over night hoping it hadn't been stolen, and hot foot it down to lost property the next day. Fortunately I managed to get it back on both occasions.
    On another occasion as a teenager, I was hanging off the back platform (No doors in those days) waiting for it to stop so I could get off, holding the Bass in my left hand when the bus went over a bump and I dropped the Bl**dy thing in the road.
    The bell end was badly mangled.
    I was terrified of going to band practice, but when I got there, the Bandmaster just rolled out the wrinkles with a drumstick it wasn't perfect, but not bad.
    Those who know me would probably be of the opinion that I haven't changed much since those far off days !!
    - Wilky
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- buses these days don't seem to welcome BBbs with the luggage arrangements. EEbs fit perfectly inside the single deckers though ... if you are lucky not to have people piling shopping bags in the designer bass area! The fold down seats at the front too are great, until some mother armed with pram steals area no. 2. The sign should read "Passengers and/or mothers with prams/buggies please give up allocated seats for EEb tuba players."
  13. timbloke

timbloke Member

:eek:that's a fair point!!