Bass Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by EbEwan, Jan 13, 2015.

1. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

Does anybody out there have experience of Giddings and Webster mouthpieces? If so, any idea which shank size would be most suitable for a Sovereign?

2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I would suggest contacting them direct, as most of their named players use the more popular in America CC tuba!

Just wondered what you currently use? why you feel it isn't working for you? and not being able to try one for that money is a gamble!

3. Order the euro shank for sov. I had a Szentpalli CC euro shank for my BBb as well as a brief hiatus on a Bayamo!

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Giddings & Webster is my choice of mouthpiece for the Yamaha Maestro 632 tuba, and prefer both the Matanuska (for a clear, defined sound) and the Taku (more overtones, but a slightly richer sound that can be successful on BBbs as well). I recently bought a 2nd hand Sovereign 982 and both work well with the instrument (which has a slightly smaller bore). Funnily enough, the larger Taku gives me better results than the Matanuska. I use the heavy mass models that are not advertised on the website ... http://www.king-cart.com/Giddingsandwebster/product=Tuba+mouthpieces/exact_match=exact

5. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

Thanks for the advice, I'm looking at the Taku as I currently use a "L and wanted something a little larger, a relative is coming over from the US and the one perk I have with that is that he can actually take it back should it be unsuitable (assuming I don't do something like drop the thing as soon as I get it!). My thoughts were that this is probably the only chance for a couple of years that I will get to try one with the return option so thought I would take advantage (but obviously I wanted to know which shank to get first).

6. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member