bass in the ballroom

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Jun 6, 2003.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi all, has anyone got any programme notes for bass in the ballroom? thanks :wink:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bass
    ballroom
    programme notes
    wink
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Roy Newsome composed it for Peter Wells who was then playing solo Eb bass at Black Dyke Mills Band. Peter went on to play with Yorkshire Imps and Hammonds Sauce Works Bands before taking up the baton. He conducted Harrogate (and Yorkshire Railway Institute Bands), and is still playing, with Harrogate.

4. jfenwick

jfenwick Member

our MD played it in a concert with us it's dead good.

5. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

It is even better if you can sing in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It was one of the set pieces for the auditions of the Youth Band of Great Britain once upon a time.
    Have you listened to Steve Sykes playing it on Soverign Soloists?

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I sat next to "Flash" Wells at Dyke for about 3 months and I reckon he would have called it "Balls in the Bass Room" !!!!!!!!!!!!! - Don't get me wrong - it's a fine solo, it's just that "Flash" had a way with words !!

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

thanks guys! I also need to know about tuba concerto by gregson, andfantasy for tuba by malcolm arnold. a friend of mine is doing a diploma soon!
    thanks shaz

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Tuba Concerto - Gregson
    Commissioned by Besses o' the Barn Band with funds from the Arts Council of Great Britain.
    This work is dedicated to John Fletcher, who gave the first performance on 24 April 1976.
    The concerto is in three movements, following the usual quick-slow-quick pattern: Allegro deciso, Lento e mesto, Allegro giocoso. The first is in a sonata form shell with two contrasting themes, the first rhythmic in character, the second lyrical. There is a reference made in the development section to the opening theme of Vaughan Williams's Tuba Concerto, but only in passing. The second movement unfolds a long cantabile melody for the soloist, which contrasts to a ritornello idea announced three times by the band/orchestra. The last movement is in rondo form, alternating the main theme with two episodes. The first of these is a broad sweeping tune, the second jazz-like in style. After a short cadenza, reference is made to the opening of the concerto, and the work ends with a triumphal flourish.

More infor on the link below:
    http://www.schirmer.com/composers/gregson/bio.html

Malcolm Arnold
    Lots of information on the following site:

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/arnold/arnold.htm

:wink:

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

10. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

The Gregson tuba concerto and the Malcolm Arnold are both on his cd Gourlay plays tuba. Although I prefer the interpretation on the besses one.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It is also of interest in that it is one of relatively few concertante works where a version with orchestra has been produced from a brass band original. There is also a wind band accompaniment available.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bass
    ballroom
    programme notes
    wink
  13. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member