Bass flugehorn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Mar 19, 2006.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Can anyone recommend a make of bass flugelhorns? Have any of you ever played one? I really like the sound and I've tried googling but haven't managed to come up with any brands I've heard of! Any help would be appreciated!
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

by heck! I didn't quite mean one of those! I was thinking more along the lines of one of these
    not a fantastic pic but the only one i could find
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Is it definitely a bass flugel? Im definitely no expert but it could well be a marching euph / bari! Over to the American banders I think.
  5. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

James Morrison says it is! And according to a book I found, it's definitely different to a euphonium/baritone flugel. It says there are Eb sopranino , Bb soprano, Eb alto, Bb tenor, Bb baritone, Bb bass, F bass bass, Eb bass, and Bb-C bass flugels! And they are all available in piston and rotary. So I am in quite a bit of confusion as to which one various websites are talking about!
  6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Looks like a Marching Bari to me.

Here's a pic of mine: Linkage

And one with my Euph, for perspective: Here ya go

That 'Fluba's' a riot. Holy Cow that's one big horn.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  7. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

haha mad!
  8. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Aye its a Marching Baritone or Euph - I have one - they are great fun!
  9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I really really really want one :biggrin: How much do they cost and what are the best manufacturers?
  10. gawber

gawber Active Member

There are 9 marching baritones for sale on e-bay
    All brand new
    All low starting prices (the lowest being 10p)

And all from CHINA
    (And only £175 p&p and £5 insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

NO................ DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  11. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I bought a mint Condition DEG Dynasty Marching Baritone in Lacquer for about £500 on Ebay - They are very very rare. Keep watching - you can sign up to a search that notifies you when a new item that mathces your criteria - I would recommend doing that for marching Baritone or Euph... As far as I am aware there are a few good names in the Marching Baritone world - DEG (Formerly Getzen), King and Yamaha...

As I say they are great fun. Superb sound and not too heavy to play for long periods... Good luck in your quest!
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Technically, what is the difference between a bass trumpet and a marching baritone?
  13. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

The DEGs are awesome. I played a 2-valve Baritone Bugle in Air Force Basic Training for our Parade Band/Drum & Bugle Corps. Awesome horns.

Mine is a Blessing M300. They're about $2000 new, and on-par with the King and Yamahas, and I love it. Very mellow and nice sound... although a little brighter than a proper Euph. Seems like it takes a bit more wind to make the sound though, than even a proper Euph.

The silvertone models are the coolest-looking as well, IMHO.
  14. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

MIR-Sales have some "forward-facing" baritones on their reconditioned instrument page. They list a La Fleur at Worcester and 3 Old's in Halesowen. They also have a section of misc brass which includes forward facing euphoniums etc...

They are very pleasant to deal with and have freephone numbers (Halesowen 0500 340689: Worcester 0500340690) so wouldn't cost you anything to phone them up for a chat.
  15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Bore profile, and maybe bore width. It's the same difference as between a normal Trumpet and a Cornet / Flugel / whatever's equivalent to a "marching baritone" at Trumpet pitch (*).

(*) I take it that "baritone" is meant in the American sense of "almost a Euphonium in bore profile, but not quite" here?
  16. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

It depends on what's meant by the 'bore.' I'm assuming we're talking about the size of the holes bored through the valves and inner diameter of the tuned tubes.

If that's the case, I'll measure the difference when I get home - for curiousity sake.

Although, the music instrument companies are calling the instruments I've always played 'Euphoniums,' whereas it's the musicians and instructors who more often refer to them as 'Baritones.'
  17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

By 'bore width' I mean the size. By 'bore profile' I mean how the bore width changes as you go through the instrument.
  18. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

The only bad thing I can see about using 'bore' as a benchmark, is that the lead pipe and mouthpiece opening are significantly smaller than the valve bores and tuning tubes themselves - which tend to remain consistent with each other.

That's why I'm curious as to which 'bore' we're referring to. Using those references - which bore actually has more effect on how the instrument's tone characteristics come across? Mouthpiece or valves/tubes?

And having said that, do proper Baritones use the same size mouthpiece as Euphoniums? Or are they different? (I'm not talking rim or cup size - I'm talking the 'bore' in the shank itself). I know there's two different shank sizes for Euphoniums - Yamahas use the smaller shank, and my Jupiter (for instance) uses the larger shank.

Sorry to run this so far off topic - and maybe this is better suited in its own thread. If there's a thread out there already, kindly point me in the direction. But some good points about the differences between Baritones and Euphoniums have been brought up, and although I know we Americans are largely ignorant of the differences (never having heard the two instruments side by side myself), I think it warrants explanation.

If nothing, for my own edification.
  19. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

A proper (IE British) Baritone has a smaller Bore than a Euph - from mouthpiece (Same as a Small Shank Trombone) all the way to bell...

So both the valves and the leadpipe have a smaller bore and then the equivalent part of a Bari will have a smaller bore than the same bit of Euph (If that makes sense).
  20. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

It does make sense... thank you.