Bass clef - treble clef problems...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by edd8990, Oct 3, 2004.

1. edd8990

edd8990 New Member

OK, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if it isn't I'm sorry, but I'm at my wits end at the moment.

I have reccently switched instruments from the cornet to the B flat bass at the request of my MD. Now I can only read treble clef music, but I have a piece here in bass clef. Now at first I thought I could just take the same notes and put them in the trble clef positions. But now I've been told by some one that that is wrong, and that the notes have to be changed as well.

While this makes no sense to me (surely the notes remain the same, whatever cleff you're playing in?) but does anyone know through what the notes have to be changed? Or was I told wrong, and I just have to work out the notes and put in place on the treble clef?

2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If you were playing Eb Bass you could just pretend it's treble clef, but Bb Bass is a bit more difficult.

in treble clef (tuning 'C')

in bass clef is concert Bb

-----b O-------

I don't know that there is really an easy way out. Bass clef is in concert pitch, while treble clef is read a full tone higher than it sounds.
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

BBCBari is correct, bass clef BBb tuba parts are in concert pitch, so you will have to remap the fingerings. I have a useful link for you regarding practising this instrument....

p.s., if you have to go through the task of transposing the bass clef (replacing it with a treble clef), the bottom 'Gb' (below the stave) will become your bottom C.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2004