bass and euph mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Jun 29, 2004.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

hi experts, we need bass and euph mutes, what companies do em apart from the usual wicks and how much, whatdo you all recommend

cheers :wink:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    euph mutes
    bass
    em
    companies
    experts
  3. Owen

Owen Member

Hi

I would recommend that you try and match them to whatever your horn and baritone players are using. Failing that, I gather that Peter Gane mutes are back in production and that is what my band uses on all instruments from Flugel downwards. I would suggest having a look at them - not sure about price though...

4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I am not an expert...
    denis wick ( silver/ tin )- bass and euph mutes are really clear sounding , have to be careful if you are recording or using them in a competition or you get mute clunks and noises
    Hume and berg- these mutes are ok...the tuba mutes are a little odd on some notes ( they dont speak clearly ) , and dont fit Bb tuba instruments properly ( need extra corks ), good quality mutes and they give a really mellow muted noise ( great for extreme quiet dynamics ).
    Peter Gane - All round a pretty good mute , holds intonation are fibre so no metal clunks when you put them in...much different sound produced to denis wick mute.

I think the Wick mutes are the most expensive , but are worth it.
    Peter Gane are good , I think there was an availibility problem but if you can get a set of Euph and Tuba mutes they are a great investment for any band
    Hume and Berg are the cheapest and are another Option.

5. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

We use Paul Lawrence (at least I think that's what they are?) handmade bass mutes. They are wooden jobbies and I think they cost about £500 for the whole set of four. They are very good though, and actually sound like a muted bass rather than a bass with a towel shoved down the bell as can be the effect with some of the fibre mutes. The metal wick ones are quite good too, but create a different effect to the wood. In an ideal world you'd have both and use different ones for different pieces etc, but they are used that infrequently it's not worth bothering! :)

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Blimey Charlie that was cheap for a set of 4 mutes...you got a contact number for P.L.? I paid £150 for a wallace collection mute...

7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I seem to remember that was the price Nick yeah. My wallace collection mute was £115, suppose it's more with the BBb attachment ring. I seem to remember mine being on order for about 8 months though! We got the mutes through Alan Gregory Music shop in Fallowfield Manchester. Not sure on a direct contact for the guy who makes them... not sure how readily available they are though!

8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Peter Gane is the popular choice for "raincatchers". Wick for "Windmakers"

9. Highams

Highams Member

I agree that you have to have a matched set whatever you buy, and that they match as far as possible the rest of the band.

Peter Gane seem to be trouble free on most aspects of sound & tuning, though if you really have a lot of money to spend, (including shipping)there are some beauties made by Ron Apperson in the States with alum. bodies and rosewood ends, giving gorgeous sounds.

www.euph.freeserve.co.uk

10. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i think metal mutes makes a tinny sound, and are create a rasp on loud notes even when it's not that loud and sound really bad when tuning i difficult.

the fibre mutes are tonnes better, and they produce a more soft sound, and i prefer them. plus they look good! but that's just my preference. We have the wik mutes at our youth band, and im not a big fan. Plus they dint easily :roll:

11. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yup have to agree with you here, once you get to a certain dynamic on the metal mutes they euphs start sounding like trombones :shock: .... i don't have to tell you that is not a good thing :twisted:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    euph mutes
    bass
    em
    companies
    experts
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

We have metals and fibres and vary the use of them depending on the sound our conductor wants. Tin mutes can be useful in creating a different sound from the tin ones if that's what you're after. Donno what we paid for them tho.

14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Laserbeam Bass and I used to use our music folders to dull the Bass sound for Nessum Dorma (I think? LBB?).

Far cheaper than buying mutes- and gets a laugh from the audience, too!

15. CRat63

CRat63 Member

Follow the link.....they have just got the contract to manufacture Gane mutes again-click on the button on the left when you get there.
    http://www.rosemusic.co.uk/enter.htm

Depends what sound you are looking for, but as far as fibre mutes go-Gane are by far the best and tend not to mess around with intonation as much as the red and white Humes and Berg.

CrAt

16. Do the fibre ones differ from the fibre ones also??

:? :?

17. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Might as well throw me mute away! ;)

Well I do agree to an extent though, they do sound far too tinny and in my opinion, very loud for a muted sound! :D

18. CRat63

CRat63 Member

For a minute there Dave I thought you were going to throw your Euph away - got all excited! Depends what you're playing doesn't it? Euph muted normally means you're looking for a mellower 'muted' sound. We aint like cornets and just bang a mute in whenever we want to play quieter! The tin Wick mutes work a treat in some pieces, eg. Natalis by Martin Ellerby where you're matching the buzzing tin sounds of cornets and trombones. On the whole though - I would have thought a fibre would be suited to most of the stuff that 'muted euph' (or bass) encounters.

CrAt

19. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

20. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Settle down boys.

Jayne

21. CRat63

CRat63 Member

Sorry Jayne :oops:
    Won't do it again.

CrAt

22. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

bass mutes

I think all bass mutes are the biggest load of expensive pretentious garbage ever invented, your best bet is for the three to four bars your required to use one, open your spit key and leave your tounge in bettween your lips, very similar sound and a couple of hundred notes cheaper!!!! with the saved money go out with some good freinds and get as drunk as you possibly can!