Basic Cornets

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Incognito, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Incognito

Incognito Member

Well, my son had his cornet kicked around the school playground yesterday and its pretty much a write off so I need to look for an alternative.
    He had an old 1978 or so Sovereign that was not in good conditon but blew well.
    What do people think about the Besson 10 whatever that sells for £250?
    What about the weril regium?
  2. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

The Besson 1010 is made in India and although I am yet to have a good look at one my concern would be intonation as the Indian cornets I have seen so far have problems in this dept. I have examined an Indian cornet that was £40 on eBay including carriage from the factory and other than intonation it was a brilliant buy for a rank beginner to use!......but it was a 'REAL' cornet NOT one of the wall dec type!!

I try to encourage my dozen or so young cornet players to get old 'round stamp' Sovs like the one you describe as they are about the best value for £200-£300, but, apart from the difficulty of supply,...looking at the small ads in local papers etc,....they are mostly large bore and filling this can be demanding for small inexperienced people.

One of the best of the student quality cornets is the Yamaha 2330 although this is a good deal more expensive, a list price of about £500 in silver plate,...we pay about £350+ This is a very nice instrument designed by Renold Shilke and in production now for close to 30 years,...will serve th player well into the intermediate/advanced period. Good intonation on high register needs carefull mpc choice later on.

A new cornet to me which has recently impressed me a lot is the 'Elkhart',..this is the 'student' brand for Vincent Bach. This cornet is an excellent player and very well made with good strong fittings etc. there are some good deals with this cornet as there are some silver plated models about at the moment which were made for military bands in S.America and really need half an inch off the tuning slide to allow some 'slack' for going sharp if neccassary. This is not a big job to do but allows a cheap price for an excellent cornet with great playing features.

I know this is not really about the cornets you mentioned but hope it helps anyway!!
    TheMusicMan likes this.
  3. Incognito

Incognito Member

Yes, the old sovereign was a large bore.
    The reason I mentioned the besson is that someone has them for £200
    I have used this guy before and he is very good.
    he also has some good value used instruments in stock.

My local dealer here does the elkhart one, but I have never tried one.
    I might head in between christmas and new year and have a look.

Meanwhile my son is using me Beuscher trumpet (made in 1930) that was just recently rebuilt and replated. he loves it because its narrow bore and easy to play high on.
    Unfortunately its too long to fit in a modern trumpet case and there is no way he is taking a gig bag to school.
    In fact, after the last incident its going to be my wiseman flight standard case!

Oh, and I had a 2330 myself at one point (when I was away from bands and playing the trumpet full time). I found it to be quite a large bore instrument and took a lot of filling.
  4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The Besson 1020 is a good student standard cornet. It may be made in India (it is), but it is not one of the cheap Ebay style Indian instruments. It is made in the Besson factory over there, using the specs that Besson build to.
    How it compares to the Yamaha I am not yet certain - I haven't had both in my hands at the same time to compare. The Yamaha is a superb student instrument, but it is expensive.

I have seen the Weril cornets and the sound is quite good, but the build quality is what I would warn about. It is not always of the highest quality.

I would avoid putting a large bore sovereign (of any vintage) into the hands of a younger player. They could find the large bore quite a blow to fill.
  5. Incognito

Incognito Member

Yes Mike

I have a Weril pocket trumpet. It plays in tune (the usual failing of these things) but its a bit rough.

I will try and get a look at the Elkhart and the Besson.
    Certainly at £200 the besson does look a bit of a bargain.
  6. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

I'd have kicked off, how old is he?

That's why I don't take mine to school, especially now as it's the band's.
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've got me a gig-bag. Doesn't look like an instrument, which is always a plus point! :tup
  8. Incognito

Incognito Member

The gig bag is a bad idea.

After this incident I will be switching him to flight standard cases.
    Overkill, but necessary.
    He was already using a hard case but my spare wiseman case would probably withstand this sort of damage.

Anyway, the kid that did is one fo these trouble kids who should not be in mainstream education. He keeps being excluded and then let back in.
    he and his parents know the system so what he has done is admit doing but say that my son also did it (unbelievable). So the school are saying one is as bad as another and they will do nothing about it.
    By that logic, if they had both stabbed someone they would also both be getting off scott free.
    Schools are very bad at not applying real life laws and logic to anything that happens in School.
    (off topic, but I am ranting now so why not) A friends kid got beaten up at school (black eyes) while a teacher was watching. The teacher apparently did not want to get her shoes muddy in orde rto intervene. The School did nothing about it until the parents asked the police to charge the other girl with assault, because of coures, anywhere else thats what would have happened.
    You appear to be able to get away with any level of crime within a school.

Anyway, after the holidays I have a few surprises up my sleeve.
    I will be sending the kids parents the bill for repairs or a new cornet, and using the Schools letter claiming he admitted it as evidence when I have to enforce the bad debt!