Baritones

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rebecca Devaney, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Rebecca Devaney

Rebecca Devaney New Member

My husband has been learning the baritone now for a couple of years. He currently has a Boosey and Hawkes Imperial that belongs to band but has been thinking about buying his own. Unfortunately we don't have the money for a new Sovereign (my instrument of choice) and 2nd hand ones are non-existant. Something about Besson not making any new ones at the moment so no one are selling theirs. Can anyone recommend other decent baritones or should we just hold out for a Sovereign? Is it worth replacing an Imperial with anything else?

Hope you can help and please let me know if your hear of any 2nd hand sovereigns coming up for sale.

Thanks

2. I think the yamahas are ok.. Not as good as the Sovereign, but I know some quite good bands that uses them...

3. NeilW

NeilW Member

You could do a lot worse than looking for a second hand Imperial (of your own).

They're pretty similar in design to the sovereigns (i.e. they have compensating valves...)

"Pearl" finish is a bit strange (from the late 60s/early 70s), so I think I'd go for a plain one...

Neil.

Neil.

4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I use a yamaha which I love. The only thing I find is it is a little on the small side but people who don't know me can never decide if I have a large tenor horn or a small baritone

5. Di

Di Active Member

I don't know of any second hand sov's for sale, but why not take a look at the Virtuosi instruments. :)

6. Erm i don't know of any bessons for sale, but i must say that in my opinion, our band has a couple of bessons, they tend to be very sharp on the whole.
    Why not try other types or even better a euphonium! Sorry, im a euph player and think everyone should play one :S

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I will back Di up on that one here i saw them at the Area Contest (Midland Area) and they look good vaslue for money:clap:

8. ABERDEEN LOON

ABERDEEN LOON Member

I'll third this one! Haven't seen the baritone, but if the horn is anything to go by, well worth getting in touch with JPBrass or firstbrass.

9. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Not only good value for money but they are based on the Sovereign design like all the Virtuosi instruments

So I would agree with Di and Ian on that one

10. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Personally Bec - I think that Stephen would be best with a Sovereign - you could buy a new cheaper instrument, but it will never be as good as a Sov.

They are around - a reconditioned, replated, perfect example just went on Ebay for £950 - admittedly expensive - but as new...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sovereign-Bb-Baritone-in-as-new-immaculate-condition_W0QQitemZ7419888710QQcategoryZ16213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    A great quality Imperial for £330: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOOSEY-HAWKES-IMPERIAL-BARITONE-WITH-CASE_W0QQitemZ7419463969QQcategoryZ16213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Two Yamaha 4 valves on there too...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-Maestro-4-valve-Baritone-Laquer_W0QQitemZ7421409169QQcategoryZ16213QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you cannot find a second hand Sov anywhere, I would say an Imperial is nealry as good - there are some excellent examples around and they have the same compensating system as the sovereign and are very nice instruments.

I also tried the Virtuosi Baritone at Burton - and i was nto too impressed by it to be honest - i thought the valves were very hard work and i did not personally like the tone very much and though it felt fairly solid it did not compete with my Sovereign (Just my personal opinion though). I also tried a Cortois at the Europeans which i liked almost as much as mine, but they are just as expensive - £1750 new, Fred Rhodes may have some cheaper second hand ones... The Yamaha 4 valve is in third place for me - but a decent instrument with similar specs to the 4 valve sovereign. Any other makes and you are into your sisters old tenor/baritone territory - not quite up to the task.

to sum up - i think it would be worth the wait for the right instrument to come along (a few music shops have a service where they will contact you when an instrument you are after comes into their hands) rather than going for a newer, less high quality instrument.

:-D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Boosey and Hawkes Imperial
    new Sovereign
    hand sovereigns
    instrument of choice
    Hawkes Imperial
  12. Rebecca Devaney

Rebecca Devaney New Member

Thanks everyone for that. I'll keep you posted on our baritone progress!

Steven is planning on calling in at Northampton next weekend when we're heading north in order to try a Virtuosi. Are they quite new? I've never heard of them.

What do you think about Besson Internationals? Are they just pointless?

Oliver, I agree with you about the Sovereigns, I adore my cornet! We'll just have to keep our eyes open. Our local (ish) brass shop in Beaconsfield are going to let us know when they get baritones in.

Emma's baritone really was terrible. It's abandoned at my parents house now she's got a sovereign from her band. I had a go on her Sovereign when I helped her move house and it really does have a lovely sound (even when I played Hayden's Trumpet Concerto on it, its a just about the only piece I know from memory).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2006
  13. NeilW

NeilW Member

You might want to try Dawkes in Maidenhead too. They seem to be advertising a Besson 400, but who knows what else they've got!

Neil.

14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Drop a PM to Shawneuph. He runs the company. If I were you, I'd give him a call before you drop in, as he is father to a 6 month old boy and is sometimes away on baby sitting duties!

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

My advise would be to try some out yourself because some peoples preference isn't nessessarily going to be your 'cup of tea' and then you won't be wasting money.

Good luck in your search!

16. Gaz W

Gaz W New Member

I've had a Courtois for the past 5 years, love it.You could do worse than give the lads at Fred Rhodes a ring, see what they've got in.