Baritones

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BIG Paul, Dec 17, 2004.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Just looking for two baritones for youngsters about to start playing at rehearsals in the main band (4th section) someone has pointed me in the direction of a U S company selling SCHILL instruments ( for a very cheap price ) on e-bay.

has anyone had any experience with these instruments.
    are they purely fit for the bin, or are they reasonable for learners?

2. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

Why don't you just try buying 2 cheap second/third hand sovereign's? I bet some schools will have loads of spare instruments lying around that they'd sell on; my old secondary school had loads going spare. I don't know anything about Schill baritone's but but you can't go wrong with a sov.

Jayne

3. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

two secondhand sov baritones would be ideal if anyone knows of any at a reasonable price let me know

paul

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If they are US baritones, then they probably aren't what you're looking for. The overwhelming majority of "baritones" in the US are marching band instruments, with a large bore, forward-facing bell, and poor tuning. Not suitable for brass band music at all.

Brass-band quality baritones are rare over here.

I'd look closer to home, where brass bands are more prevalent.

5. Kernow

Kernow Member

Hi Paul,

If you can't get a couple of cheap secondhand sovereigns, try for a couple of Besson Imperials, much cheaper, solid built and ideal for learners.

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

A kid at my school has just bought a Schill, upgraded from a Jupiter. It's alright but will still need to get a sov in a couple of years. They're quite cheap like but I recommended him to get a 2nd hand sov to save some £ later on but his parents were insistent on getting him a brand new instrument as his jupiter was a pure rust bucket. He seems quite happy and it does make a nice noise. Keep away from a jupiter though. So I guess it depends if cosmetics matter really.

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Besson 700's maybe. I remember having one when I first started playing and really liked it. Main reason was cos it was shiny though and I cant remember what the tuning was like.