Baritone

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pdj, Nov 24, 2007.

1. pdj

pdj Member

Anyone out there know much about the Courtois Symphonie 169 baritone, how it plays, comparisons with the Sov and York ones. I have tried out two new sovs and two new yorks and have found them to be quite a let down. The Yorks are easier to blow than the Sovs but the valves are awfull. Esp the Yorks 1st valve. I would only ever play a 3 valve baritone as Yamaha dont do one, wonder if the Courtois is worth a go.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Courtois Symphonie 169
    Anyone
    ones
    Sov
    Yorks
  3. barrytone

barrytone Member

Hi Pete, long time no hear, how's things? Have tried a Courtois when I was deciding what to buy and chose the Sov I have now. It's not one of the newer ones, as you know, but it plays a treat.

Don't care for the Courtois baritones, personnal view, and remember vividly being in a band where we have a mix of Courtois and Sovs and we had trouble with tuning because of the mix.

Have you thought about a reconditioned Sov, an older model, probably round about the same age as mine? Or have you looked at a smaller supplier who may have an older Sov lying about that he wants to sell?

Good luck finding your dream baritone, luckily I've found mine!

4. David Mann

David Mann Member

.......waiting for the usual suspects to pile in....:wink:

but seriously I'd prefer to play on an old lacquered Sov, I never found anything better.

5. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I had one of the first new Soverigns from the B&Crampon owned Besson ( i had pre-ordered) I think it is amazing, valves are so quiet and fast, great sound and fantastic build quality. I also tried a York, but was not such a fan, I did not think that the Virtuosi that i have tried at contests felt right either, valves very stodgy.

I have played an older Cortois and the valves rattled like an extra percussionist, it also felt a little clumsy to me, tuning/intonation not so good either. From my experience they are not quite as good.

I would recommend the new Sovereigns, but if the ones you have tried are not to your liking, then i would agree with above - try and get an older one (I sold my VGC Sov for a little over £1000) as i think more are finding their way out into the world as people buy new ones. That is perhaps an avenue to go down - but keep trying until you find one you like. Good luck! :-D