Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Q.., Aug 3, 2005.

Did you play Euphonium before Baritone...??

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
  2. No

19 vote(s)
  1. Q..

Q.. New Member

I was in a discussion in the pub after band about us baritone players. As we all know, the baritone is the chosen instrument of the failed euphonium player. To settle an arguement, I just wanted to know how many baritone players started on euphonium.
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member

I have to say i'm with you on this one. I have just recently moved onto solo bari after nearly 5 yrs on 2nd euph, so maybe as i never made solo i did fail!
    Not sure how much this counts tho, as i didnt start on euph, i actually started on horn
    .....Long Story!!
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm another who started on horn before moving to baritone.
  4. Di B

Di B Member

I started on baritone and moved to euph!!!

Was only on a baritone for a year or so before the move though. I personally view them as different instruments with their own individual sound and scope.

I now say that I will play both, but I strongly prefer euph.

That said, to be a solo baritone player, you actually have to be a good player - long gone are the days of your weak players being on baritone sounding like the old fashioned chain saws....
    the choice of baritone is not an easy one :)
  5. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I went onto Bari after playing Flugel! only started playing Euph about 6 months ago!
  6. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

But is the easiest one in the whole Brass Band... :p
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Started on Cornet then moved to Baritone i had a 6 month spell on Euph to build my sound up as i was not quite filling Baritone nthen moved back on to Baritone and have never moved off it.

Its the best instrument to play what ever part , for starters its very rare you are dropped for a contest unless there are 3 Baritone players in the band but have always played at all contests when i have been available.
    In fact in our band we are doing a Duet called
    THE GRASSHOPPERS DANCE although its for cornets our SUPER CONDUCTOR likes and does swap things around for concerts this will be on for October, plus we will be dressing up as well as GRASSHOPPERS:clap: :p :D
  8. ari01

ari01 Active Member

failed how?

what exactly have we failed at?

Mike Howley
    Bob Blackburn
    Andrew Rigby
    Helen Tyler (Phwaa)
    Robert Archer
    Katrina Marzella
    Steven Booth
    Peter Christian
    Gareth Brindle
    Carol Crompton

And these are the ones that spring to mind, sorry those I've missed out. The list of failures goes on and on...... And that doesn't mention the even more failed 2nd Baritone players.....

TIMBONE Active Member

I hope my fellow tMPers won't mind a minor digression. I look on the Baritone as a Baritone Horn, not a thin Euphonium. There is a Baritone Duet version of The Wind Beneath my Wings on my website. Also, coming soon is another arrangement featuring Baritones and Horns.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Shocking thread that I take particular contempt to. How many players have played a different instrument before they played the one they are now playing?!?!?! BBb bass players that have gradually moved down through a band for example!! does that make them less valuable. I play every instrument going and took as much enjoyment playing solo Bari for Travelsphere as I do playing solo trom or solo Euph for any other band.

Thank you and good night!
  11. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I started on baritone at my junior school age 8.... as I got older (bigger), I was asked if I wouldn't mind trying BBb Bass (all this was done whilst playing Bass Clef).... Whilst still on bass clef, I was asked to join my first brass band, Hebden Bridge Juniors, where everything was in treble clef!

So although I started reading bass clef on baritone, I was entirely self-taught on treble clef for BBb Bass .... WooHoo!!!
  12. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Two of those until fairly recently were euphonium players, although it would be doing them a severe disservice to say they were "failed" euphonium players.

Because the baritone seats are perhaps not as prized as the euphonium seats, sometimes even the best players will dig out the smaller bore and give it a blow on their way to the top. Steven Miles has done this before, and he is probably the most high profile example.

This is because the two instruments are fairly interchangable (some find it easier than others admittedly), and the two instruments have unique qualities that distinguish each other. I say if you can play both do so! I don't think any less of anyone playing either!

And for the record I started on baritone for about 2 1/2 years, moved onto euphonium (have been on it ever since) but a couple of years ago I started playing baritone again as well. I didn't choose to, but I haven't regretted doing it!