Baritone Tutor

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by yooflou, Jul 16, 2008.

1. yooflou

yooflou Member

Hi
    I am looking for a Baritone tutor within a 30 mile radius of Aylesbury or 30 mile radius of Milton Keynes.
    I have tried a local cornet tutor, but gave up when it became clear he couldn't see the differences between playing the two instruments. I also tried a trombone tutor, but the distance I had to travel became too great.
    I feel that I want a tutor that plays the instrument (OK possibly a Euph playing tutor would be OK LOL) to get the best advice.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Bones

Bones Member

DOesn;t Andy Fawbert live around your neck of the woods.

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Charley Brighton (Highams is his user name on here) might be worth a call

4. ericthered

ericthered Member

Not according to the artist's website.

5. Highams

Highams Member

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It is a fact that most of the euphonium players worth taking euphonium lessons from will be able to play the baritone equally well, and diagnose general playing faults on the baritone just as well as they could on the euphonium.
    [That sentence also works with "baritone" and "euphonium" swapped around]

What do you want from a tutor? What level are you at? Unless you want advice on what equipment to use, I'd suggest that a looking for a euphonium playing tutor would be the best course - a) there are more of them, and b) the two instruments are not that different.

Andy Fawbert, already mentioned, lives in the Chilterns, I believe, and plays pretty much everything of a low brass nature professionally. If you're travelling into London regularly, as your profile suggests, there are lots of options - try contacting music colleges to see who they have on their books.