Baritone solo's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by livyarker, Jun 18, 2004.

1. livyarker

livyarker Member

My dad has been trying to get hold of the Baritone solo in cry of the celts without having to buy the whole set. Any idea if you can buy it seperate? or are there any other good Baritone solo's out there?

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

No wonder he's struggling - I don't think there is a baritone solo in Cry Of The Celts is there?!!
  3. livyarker

livyarker Member

perhaps not it was sugessted to him by someone.just trying to find a solo for him anyway......oh and i have noticed that i've missed off the e on baritone!!... :roll:
  4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Might have meant the baritone solo on the CD of Cry of the Celts by YBS. It's not part of the actual Cry of the Celts set though. Called "Wee Cooper o' Fife" or something like that! :roll:
  5. livyarker

livyarker Member

ah ha thanks thats most likely why he can't find it then!!!! :lol:
  6. livyarker

livyarker Member

Just spoke to him apparently he has found the baritone solo but would like to get a copy of lament which is for euphs!

anyone know of any other good baritone solos tho?
  7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

There's a Philip Sparke piece called Fantasy for Baritone or something like that, which is nice but very hard!
    Don't play Carikfergus - as it's boring!
    There are some others around if you're prepared to look (sorry - can't think now, gig tonight was long and wet and horrible (and outside!))
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I believe Mr Thorne himself wrote a concerto for baritone!
  9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

It's good fun, I've tried playing it on my euph (which is probably a bit of blasphemy :roll:) and I enjoyed it.
  10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Yup it is blasphemy, mind you respect to baritone players, if you've got a good one sat next to you your confidence skyrockets. Also very nice if your lucky to have a loverly lady one solo bari :p ...unfortunately tho this aint the case in my band :!:
  11. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Aw poo! Forgot to put on the reason for posting in the first place!

I take it this Fantasy is different to the well butchered one for euph :?:
  12. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I expect you mean Rhapsody for Bb Baritone which appears on the ABRSM Grade 8 list.

Other Baritone solos I have come across are:

Southern Cross - Roy Newsome
    Rutland Water - Bennett
    Let Me Try Again - Frank Sinatra's follow up to My Way

13. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

That's the one I meant. :oops: My apologies, it was late at night when I posted!
  14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Yar, I forgot it was the "Rhapsody" ... and it is different.
  15. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I seem to remember the Rhapsody being quite hard too. :?
  16. Humphrey

Humphrey Member

Even harder when it was called "Concertino for Tuba and Band". :shock:

Carol Crompton premiered a new baritone solo last night at Morley. It was called Scherzo for Solo Baritone and was by Iain Rayner. I checked with Carol and it's available from Prima Arts publishing. Good piece to listen to and sounded like fun to play too. :)
  17. Owen

Owen Member

"I Know Why" arranged be Leigh Baker is very good. Rutland Water works well, but the horn section will not thank you for it!
  18. scjb

scjb Member

baritone solos

have a quick look at as well.

Best wishes
    Steven Booth
  19. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Donegal Bay is a nice easy listening baritone solo
  20. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

You can also use older euph solos that were written before fourth valves became standard equipment. The biggest issue is the low register, which can be a problem on bari (depending on the skill of the player, of course). For example, "The Song of the Brother", an old SA standard by Erik Leidzen, doesn't go into fourth-valve required territory, and the only really low stuff is in a cadenza, which is ad-lib anyway, so modifying it a bit isn't such a horrible thing. There are many solos of this vintage that are suitable for use on a baritone. Just check the range - even a four-valve baritone doesn't sound too good too far below the staff.