Baritone Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Looking for some interesting baritone solos/features..... anything but Little Red Bird! Ideas please?

(and yes, I've heard all the jokes before! ;) )
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Rutland Water - Malcom Bennett.
    Napoli - Bellstead

are two that work really well.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

4. Accidental

thanks Peter - I did a quick search but didn't find that! :redface:
  5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Carrickfergus- Stephen Roberts
    Meiso- John Golland (duet for Baritone and Tenor Horn)
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Many older euphonium solos also work well with baritone - Song of the Brother, Ransomed, etc.
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Carrickfergus by Steve Roberts.Recorded by Williams Fariey Band on CD:Diamond Jubilee on Doyen Label.

This is a good post as a Baritone player myself would like to see more Baritone Solo wrote for Baritone, may be some of the Opera Aria Classcics:any Volunteers out there?
  8. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

MMI Music has two Baritone solos in our catalogue:-

Scarborough Fair arranged by me! and Black Eyed Susan by fellow tMPer Mike Lyons. As ever pdf files are available - pm me with your email address.
  9. Maz

Maz New Member

Roger Thorne (of tmp notoriety) has written a great baritone concertino (as noted from the link earlier) for Rob Richardson, ex-Black Dyke, but he has also released the slow movement of the concertino (Andante) as a seperate solo with band accompaniment, and it's really really good!. You can listen to it on Scorch from Roger's website and print out a freebie copy of the solo part too, which is very nice. It's highly recommended!

Peace by John Golland also works very well as a baritone solo.

Good luck!
  10. peatair

peatair Member

"Donegal Bay" - an excellent solo - very atmospheric. [Recorded on the Fairey VIRTUOSI CD].
  11. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thanks for the plug Maz! :tup

Here are the links:

Concertino for Baritone

Andante: from Concertino for Baritone

As Maz has already said, you can print off a free Soloist's Copy for both pieces.

12. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Southern Cross by Roy Newsome is a good one. Great Baritone part, with a simple accompniment for the band.
    Also, I don't know if Philip Sparke's Rhapsody for Baritone has a Brass Band score. It is on the Baritone/Euphonium Grade 8 Syllabus so yes, is a bit tricky but is great when you get it right!
  13. Accidental

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    I did try to have a look at Roger's concertino (of course!!) but can't get Scorch to work at the mo. :-(