Baritone Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Accidental, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Looking for some interesting baritone solos/features..... anything but Little Red Bird! Ideas please?

(and yes, I've heard all the jokes before! ;) )

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Rutland Water - Malcom Bennett.
    Napoli - Bellstead

are two that work really well.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

4. Accidental

thanks Peter - I did a quick search but didn't find that! :redface:

5. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Carrickfergus- Stephen Roberts
    Meiso- John Golland (duet for Baritone and Tenor Horn)

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Many older euphonium solos also work well with baritone - Song of the Brother, Ransomed, etc.

7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Carrickfergus by Steve Roberts.Recorded by Williams Fariey Band on CD:Diamond Jubilee on Doyen Label.

This is a good post as a Baritone player myself would like to see more Baritone Solo wrote for Baritone, may be some of the Opera Aria Classcics:any Volunteers out there?

8. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

MMI Music has two Baritone solos in our catalogue:-

Scarborough Fair arranged by me! and Black Eyed Susan by fellow tMPer Mike Lyons. As ever pdf files are available - pm me with your email address.

9. Maz

Maz New Member

Roger Thorne (of tmp notoriety) has written a great baritone concertino (as noted from the link earlier) for Rob Richardson, ex-Black Dyke, but he has also released the slow movement of the concertino (Andante) as a seperate solo with band accompaniment, and it's really really good!. You can listen to it on Scorch from Roger's website and print out a freebie copy of the solo part too, which is very nice. It's highly recommended!

Peace by John Golland also works very well as a baritone solo.

Good luck!

10. peatair

peatair Member

"Donegal Bay" - an excellent solo - very atmospheric. [Recorded on the Fairey VIRTUOSI CD].

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone Solos
    Little Red Bird
    interesting baritone solos
    Red Bird
    features
  12. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Thanks for the plug Maz! :tup

Here are the links:

Concertino for Baritone

Andante: from Concertino for Baritone

As Maz has already said, you can print off a free Soloist's Copy for both pieces.

;)

13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Southern Cross by Roy Newsome is a good one. Great Baritone part, with a simple accompniment for the band.
    Also, I don't know if Philip Sparke's Rhapsody for Baritone has a Brass Band score. It is on the Baritone/Euphonium Grade 8 Syllabus so yes, is a bit tricky but is great when you get it right!

14. Accidental

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    I did try to have a look at Roger's concertino (of course!!) but can't get Scorch to work at the mo. :-(