Baritone Solo CD

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Rob, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Rob

Rob Member

Hello all,

Diana Herak (Brass Band of Columbus), Helen Tyler (Fodens), Katrina Marzella (Leyland Band) and myself (YBS Band) have just released a baritone solo album entitled 'Baritones to the Fore!'. Nothing like this has ever been released before, and the CD contains many of the major works written for baritone over the last 10-15 years, including many new commissions. Our aim was to only feature previously un-recorded pieces, so everything heard is a completely fresh performance on the baritone.

The track listing is as follows:
    (DH - Diana Herak, KM - Katrina Marzella, RR - Rob Richardson, HT - Helen Tyler)

1. Concertino for Baritone (Roger Thorne) - 7:02 (RR)
    2. Deep Inside the Sacred Temple (Bizet arr. Wilkinson) - 3:22 (DH & HT)
    3. Hebredian Lullaby (Philip Harper) - 5:14 (KM)
    4. A Day in the Life of Pooh and Tigger (Lawrence) - 3:57 (DH)
    5. Rhapsody for Baritone: Don Quixote (John Golland) - 8:53 (RR)
    6. Horizon (Booth) - 6:02 (HT)
    7. Alu (Pete Meechan) - 3:59 (DH)
    8. Rhapsody for Baritone (Philip Sparke) - 7:52 (RR)
    9. Prelude No. 4 in C-minor (Bach arr. Piper) - 3:47 (KM)
    10. Slane (trad. arr. Baker) - 3:14 (HT)
    11. Mirror Lake - Movement 1: Serenade (Montgomery arr. Tubb ed. Droste) - 5:12 (DH)
    12. Mirror Lake - Movement 2: Festival (Montgomery arr. Tubb ed. Droste) - 2:30 (DH)
    13. A New Day (Andrea Crossley) - 3:54 (RR)
    14. By the Waterside (Faure trans. Wilson) - 2:17 (DH)
    15. Sun (Bruce Fraser) - 5:48 (KM)
    16. Baritunes (Leigh Baker) - 3:42 (RR & DH)

The CD is available from myself at £13.50 inc. P&P, so let me know if you would like a copy, either by messaging me on here, emailing on or giving me a call on 07738114968. Any other questions just give me a shout!

Cheers, Rob
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Just received my 'complimentary' CD Rob :tup

Excellent playing from all the soloists and The Brass Band of Columbus. Well done to everyone involved in this fantastic project.

3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Congratulations on the new CD, Rob. Apparently it took some time to record, because I remember Pat already telling about the project when I visited him and Diana in September 2006...
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

It was truly an incredible collaboration of people who wanted to not only support brass bands, but new compositions and of course the baritone horn.

The list of thank you's from Rob to Katrina to Helen to Diana, as well as all the composers with recent compositions, as well as the band, the brass band community in Columbus, etc.. has been astounding.

Getting all the players, music, Ohio took a l good deal of work and I think produced not only a unique, but a quality product.
  5. Kate

Kate New Member

Thanks for the efficient delivery Rob- my copy arrived in the post this morning! :)

I'd highly recommend this CD, the solo playing is superb as is the band accompaniment- 'Baritunes' is a personal favorite! ;)

Well done to all involved :)
  6. DublinBass

7. Veri

Veri Member

Mine arrived this morning, thank you Rob, and I have already enjoyed listening to it twice.
  8. pdj

pdj Member

I recieved my copy on Friday. Its a fantastic CD and congratulations to all. I have listened to most of it and love all that i have heard so far. Cheers Rob, see you in the bar at the Areas ;)
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Rob, are all the pieces published and available for sale? I'm particularly interested in the Hebredian Lullaby by Philip Harper.

10. DublinBass

I believe "Slane" is the only one that is not yet, but will be with Kirlees soon.

Hebredian is available (publisher should be on the CD). I think I even saw it advertised last summer in BBW or BB?
  11. Rob

Rob Member

12. Rob

Rob Member

Review of the CD now available at Issue 108 of: (didn't know I was pursuing a 'professional' career :D)

More to come within a short while from the usual media sources (4BR etc.).
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Rob, I didn't think you were English either! :rolleyes: About the mentioned Steve Booth solo CD ... I thought that didn't get completed?