Baritone mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flugelboy2011, Jul 4, 2016.

1. flugelboy2011

flugelboy2011 New Member

hi I would be interested in people's thoughts about he differences between a Denis wick 6bs, Sm6 and the Alliance DC mouthpieces. Is there much difference between them all? Is any one easier for high register playing and overall sound?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone
    Denis
    Alliance DC
    Sm6
    bs
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

have you (or your baritone player) tried them? perhaps you could answer the question for yourself. To be honest though, you should really not rely on the mouthpiece to make high register playing easier, or to improve the sound - that comes with practice

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

While this is true, there are mouthpieces that do particular jobs less well than others. The only Alliance baritone mouthpiece I've ever tried (the 6), I found made the high register more uncertain than I expect it to be, and I couldn't find an upside to the way it played as a trade-off; it simply could not compete for suitability with the ancient battered platingless DW 6BS that was the other choice that day. Sure, one should aim to improve one's playing on whatever equipment one has - but it's only wise not to handicap oneself.

The 6BS flat out works, and is the choice of some excellent players. The Alliance B6 less so. Can't comment on the SM6B, as haven't tried it.

5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

No mouthpiece can replace consistant practice!

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

My first thoughts on this are, what are you playing on at the moment, and why are you thinking about changing it?

Second thought is that the standard DW pieces are still the most common (in my experience) for a good reason... nearly all the 1st bari players I've ever come across use a 6BS

7. pbirch

pbirch Member

I guess it depends on whether you look at the baritone from the point of view of a trombone, a euphonium or a tenor horn and of course it shares aspects of design, pitch, scoring etc with all of them. The 6BS is a trombone mouthpiece, my son, used an SM4B mainly because it was the same size as the euphonium version but designed to fit a baritone. I think it is a good thing that people are looking at the specific requirements of an instrument and its players and designing mouthpieces to meet those needs.

8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Huh? Why not just look at it from the pov of a baritone?!

MoominDave likes this.
  9. pbirch

pbirch Member

well indeed, which is why I am pleased to see the development of Baritone mouthpieces from DW and Alliance

10. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Try everuthing...use what works for you!

Accidental likes this.
  11. ari01

ari01 Active Member

They've been around for years?

Accidental likes this.
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone
    Denis
    Alliance DC
    Sm6
    bs
  13. Euphman2

Euphman2 Member

I have used a DW6BS for playing a trombone and I managed to teach my wife to play a baritone for Whit Friday in 6 weeks using the same mouthpiece so IMHO it is a very good mouthpiece for experienced and new players. I agree that it is a matter of personal preference and practice and if another mouthpiece suits you, then that is the one to stick with.