Baritone Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cujo_134, Aug 2, 2006.

1. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

I'm moving back on to baritone from euphonium and want to update my mouthpiece. Currently I have a 6BS for the baritone. I'm looking for a bigger sound, without totally sacrifcing my range. Any sugestions? I was looking into the SM baritone mouthpieces, as I have use an SM3 on Euphonium, and was wondering if anyone had tried them. Thanks.
  2. Sm4

I've been playin' baritone the last years. And until recently I've used a regular Denis Wick 6 mouthpiece.. but my tutor gave it to a trombonist and bought me a SM4, that gives me a lot bigger sound. and I prefer that after trying it out...
  3. agentorange

agentorange Member

The SM range will probably give you a bigger sound but take care that it doesn't make you sound too euphoniumy (if there is such a word).
    I occasionally dep as a bari player & find a 6BS just a little small. A 5BS does the job for me, being a nice comprimise in size but keeping that true horn sound.
  4. Deano

Deano Member

When I switched from Euphonium to Baritone many moons ago, I struggled for a while with a DW 6BS, I then bought a DW 4AY exactly the same spec a DW 4AL but designed for American & Japanese Euphoniums with a narrower mouthpipe.
  5. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

I play a Vincent Bach 6 1/2 AL - i used to play a DW 6BS or 5BS. Vincent Bach have some good options, but in the end it is down to personal preference...
  6. Scongie

Scongie Member

Moved back and forth from Baritone and Euph many times and I always found it difficult to get comfortable with the Bari mouthpiece. The last time I went back on to Baritone the SM mouthpieces had appeared and I found the difference amazing. Excellent throughout the range but up the top even better and more horn sounding that the 5/6BS
  7. helen_euph

helen_euph Member

Same here! Think I just tried playing on the 6BS cos it came with the baritone!!!!! :-? Also tried a DW 4BS for a while but it wasn't quite right for me and I found it hard to change between instruments. A friend lent me a DW 4AY and thats the mouthpiece I use now if I do any baritone playing as its exactly the same as the DW 4AL (as Deano said) that I use with my euph :biggrin:

Prob best to try a few similar size mouthpieces to your euph one tho and see what suits you best.

Good luck!
  8. cujo_134

cujo_134 Member

What SM mouthpiece specifically did you use on your baritone. I'm just wondering about range, because I definitely love my SM3 on my euph.
  9. wkt

wkt Member

I use a SM4B for baritone and a SM4 for euphonium. I was using the SM4B for a while on the baritone before I missed the euphonium sufficiently to dig deep and buy one. In that way the SM4 seemed the obvious choice for me.

10. Hyperion

Hyperion New Member

Starting to play baritone after a long lay off from serious playing of any kind
    Any recommendations for a baritone mouthpiece - I am so out of touch that I do not know what is available!
  11. Di

Di Active Member

Merged with existing thread re baritone mouthpieces. Hopefully you'll find some useful tips. ;)
  12. baritony

baritony New Member

i ve played baritone for many years i ve had no problems with a dennis wick 9 bs good sound and good range.
  13. Mike Caress

Mike Caress New Member

Just to change track slightly, I am using a Schilke 51C4 and find this is giving me a great sound with plenty of warmth, along with no compromise in range. I find the rim a lot more comfortable than the Denis Wick . Certainly an alternative worth considering.
    As it is coming onto winter, I also have a Kelly mouthpiece which is plastic, and much quicker to warm up when playing outside - the tone is not quite as good, but the advantages far outway the minor disadvantage.
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Denis Wick 6BS
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Currently using a DW 4BS. I find that anything smaller is not agile enough in the low register, which more and more composers seem to be exploiting in baritone parts these days. I have an old DW 5AY that I used to use many years when I played on a small-shank euph, but the 4BS seems to be much less tiring to blow through for extended periods. I also tried the Yamaha mouthpiece that came with my baritone (seems to be a fairly close copy of a Bach 6 1/2 AL), but found that the rim didn't seem to fit my face right.
  16. vonny

vonny Member

I used a SM4 on euphonium which was brilliant, and now I use an SM6B on baritone which I feel gives me a great sound. It seems strange that I'm replying to a thread on euph/bari mouthpieces when I have only ever played on a cornet until now. I must be naturally talented :biggrin:
  17. ari01

ari01 Active Member

why get so hung up on a gob iron

Just stick it in and blow the (edited for inappropriate language, PB, Mod) thing!!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2006