Baritone mouthpiece - whats your weapon of choice?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aaron, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member

A question to all baritone players out there....

I am currently on an SM6 mouthpiece, but have recently found it a little restrictive in terms of sound. So I have got an SM4 to try out which is obviously much bigger & more like a euph mouthpiece.

What does everyone else use? what would you recommend?

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I use a 'normal' Denis Wick 6.
    I did have a DW4 for a while but switched back.
    I was always taught to use the biggest mouthpiece you can (on horn I used a DW2), but for me the 4 is too big for a baritone because it starts to sound a bit too much like a euph instead of a horn. If you want or need to get a fatter sound though, then the 4 is defintely worth a try.

Does anyone use VB/Yamaha mouthpieces? Years ago I had a lovely yammy with a narrow bore & deep cup, but I lent it out and never got it back. It wasn't stamped and I've never managed to figure out what it was!
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Our 1st baritone uses a VB 4, as I recall. This is quite shallow compared to Wick pieces.
    When I turned out on 2nd bari for the Chicago band at NABBA this year, I was presented with an old-style tiny-bore Imperial to compete with the bazookas that everyone else was using - a Wick 4AY made this honk in a pretty satisfying manner...
  4. agentorange

agentorange Member

I use an SM4 when i'm depping on baritone. Yes, I know i'm a euph player, but i'd still choose an SM4 if the 'doghorn' was my usual instrument. Don't be fooled into thinking that by going bigger you'll start to sound like a euph - you won't. You'll just sound like a bigger fatter baritone!
  5. Accidental

Don't worry I'm not that gullible, I just personally dislike the recent trend for baritones to sound "more like" euphoniums - particularly those using 4 valve sovs and/or larger mouthpieces. Bigger and fatter sound is generally a good thing, and its something I strive for myself, BUT I think a baritone should sound like a big horn, not a small euphonium and that distinctive sound seems to be disappearing.

but hey, opinions are like bum holes..... everyones got one! :D!
  6. Scongie

Scongie Member

In my younger years I regularly swapped between baritone and euph for my competing band and school band. tried most types of mouthpieces over the years DW, Yamaha, VB to try and get a more horn like sound. then I got my hands on the SM6. best investment I ever made and if I ever find myself nack on baritone it'll be my choice.
  7. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

I used to use the SM4 when switching between euph and baritone. I now try to 'embrase' the true baritone sound (instead of trying unsuccessfully to sound like a euph!) and have settled on a DW5 which I find to be a decent compromise with 'up top' stuff and sound.

I played on a VB6.5 for a bit which I really liked the feel of but struggled with sound. I got The Brass Doctor to round off the rim of my DW to feel the same and it's just right for me now.

I would consider changing mouthpiece to help me match the sound of the bari next to me though. No point having a big fat sound if they haven't and vice versa.
  8. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

Friends of mine who switch between bari and euph use an SM4 but I have always used a DW 6BS. It allows a good tone in all registers for me and most baritone players I know use that mouthpiece. I've never tried an SM4, you've got me intrigued now........................
  9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I'm using a Loud LM-47 bari Mpc on my old Boosey and co Euph as mod euph mpc won't fit
    They say it gives a realy dark sound to a bari as it is the largest bari mpc they make and me being a tuba player I need as big as I can get.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, and I'm really pleased you said that! (you can dep for us anytime ... )

I remember several years ago, I depped for a 'name' champ. band, (no names no pack drill) and a very well known 'top' Euph. player was also depping, but on Baritone (again, no names, no pack drill), and we were chatting in the dressing room shortly before going on stage, and this gentleman held up the baritone (which he had borrowed just for the day) and said (something along the lines of) "It's all very well, but I've no idea what this is supposed to sound like".

Of course, in the event, his playing was immaculate, but it was one of the biggest sounding 2nd Baritone parts I've ever heard. Not necessarily authentic though ...
  11. barimone

barimone New Member

I have used the SM4 for quite a while, and love the sound I get (with a 4-valve sov---which sounds like a mellow bari not a euph thanks). It also seems easy to get production going on a bigger mouthpiece.

However, I've really sturggled with stamina recently especially in the higher register. i'd be interested to know what people think. On 2nd baritone, i;d rather have a decent rounded sound and struggle with the high notes, but maybe the 5 is a good compromise after all if you want to nail thehigh notes too...I dontknow how different it would sound.
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I use a 6BS
  13. euphymike

euphymike Member

I keep coming back to a Vincent Bach 6 1/2. It's got a big sound in the middle. you can 'growl' a bit at the bottom if you over blow and the up to top C easily. Above that is hard. The next nearest in my 'collection' is a SM9. I have a DW 5880 which I keep trying and know I should persever with! I also have a VB 11 but find the rim 'cuts' into my lips but still has a big sound. I like the SM range but find the rim too 'rounded' for my chops
  14. Accidental

I used to loved my VB 6.5, but after a few years in the wilderness on euph on horn it never felt right, and now I've lost it!

I keep looking at the SM9 and trying to figure out what difference the wider rim/shallower cup makes compared to the SM6. My worry would be that intonation gets (even) harder... how do you find it?

And someone's got to say it...
    Barimone, there is no 5!
  15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Very old 6BS for me.

When I switched to the Yamaha baritone a few years ago I tried a couple of different Yammy mouthpieces, but the rims just didn't feel right on my lip.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  16. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

what's an sm4?
  17. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

18. euphymike

euphymike Member

I haven't really got as far as tuning using the SM9 yet. I'm still trying to bond with it! The VB 6.5 is a big sound and keeps my old 4 valve bari sovereign pretty well in tune! I find difficulty tonguing fast with the SM6. I too also play euph and use a VB 5G so my 'norf and Sarf' takes a bit of a beating. When I starting playing again I had sov and bought a 9B Marcikeniwizx ???? trombone MP of Ebay I was great. However, I got a willson 2950 a couple of years ago. the Marcy thing made it sound like a plastic hose with a funnel in the end, I have the VB 3 and 4 but keep coming back to the 5!
    I think I might try the wicksey 5880 this afternoon for a change. Maybe I am trying to make the baritone sound too much like a Euph. I suppose I should invest in a good baritone player CD to hear what I should be looking for????
  19. Owen

Owen Member

I am playing on a 5BS - I find it a useful compromise between the SMB4 and SMB6 in terms of making a decent big sound without being a killer for playing high notes.

Definitely in the camp of baritone sounding like a big horn, but half the skill (and mystery, probably) of playing baritone is blending with whichever section you are playing with at the time.
  20. barrytone

barrytone Member

I have always used either a 6bs or a 5bs, 5 gives a bigger sound, not a euph like sound but a nice, deep baritone tone, I find 6 still gives me that tone but sharpens my sound just a little. Depends what part you're playing, if you're playing second and are predominatly in the lower register, then a larger/deeper cup will help and it will give you a bigger sound but if you're playing solo bari, you've got to get a mouthpiece that enables you to get a good sound without draining too much out of your lip in the upper register.