Baritone Mouthpiece advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Red Elvis, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

After 3 years or so of playing EEb bass , I'm giving Baritone a try again after some player moves. The band instrument is a Stirling , fairly free blowing ( at least based on one nights experience !! ), smallish bore ( I think but it would be coming from bass!!) but comes with an old DW 6BS. Was a reasonably comfortable blow but thinking I could do with something larger and deeper.

Been having a google this morning and the DW / Steven Mead SM4 Ultra looks as though it might fit the bill.

Anyone out there using one ? If so , what are the advantages / disadvantages thereof ?

What sort of price range is reasonable ?

All advice welcome !!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone
    Baritone Mouthpiece
    EEb
    DW 6BS
    Stirling
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

IMHO....try everything and buy what works for you!

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Turn it around and blow through the bell :rolleyes:

5. SMead

SMead Member

I might be 'slightly' biased but the Ultra 4 is pretty good! Devoteees of the traditional 6 size, 6BS etc find it too big, but the sound from the 4 is very sonorous. Coming from the EEb Bass , I don't think you'll find the 4 too big. Steve (ps there is a 5 too, in case you need the mid size)

6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's a longish discussion on bari mouthpieces here.
    As you've come from bass I'd suggest the Wick 4 (Ultra if you can but any version would be better than a 6), especially as there's some ridiculous low notes on both bari parts for Pag which are a b*gger to get in tune/sounding halfway decent.

ETA - just seen Mr Mead is on line..... I asked in the old thread about the SM5 (because a 4 is just a bit too big for me and my old 3 valve sov) but I never got any feedback. More info would be lovely please!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

When I play baritone I use the largest Baritone Mpc I can find. LM-47 by Loud makes for a realy nice Dark sound, But then I'm using it in a Boosey and Co Euphonium and playing the Baritone part, But it is a Baritone Mpc. I use a spacer ( adapter) to make it fit.

8. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

If the baritone mouthpiece ranges are like the euphonium ranges, then the SM4B should be about as deep as you can get (certainly my SM euphonium mouthpieces are significantly deeper than their Ultra counterparts, which I don't like particularly). The largest rimsize you can get a small shank with as standard is on the Vincent Bach 3 (no suffix), I believe. You can fit a Wick 4AY into a baritone leadpipe, but although it is temptingly wide and deep, it will leave you with intonation issues due to the mismatched shank. Sadly, Wick doesn't make a 4AS though.
    It also depends on the part you'll be playing - I find a small shank VB 5G works nicely for 1st, but prefer something a little roomier for 2nd.

Or you could have something custom-made - try Doug Elliott or Terry Warburton.

9. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

I use a Dennis Wick 4 in my baritone and sound like a flatulent horse eating sprouts in a tin shed.

Barking Bob

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The sweet sound (and smell) of success.

11. baridis

baridis Member

I went from a DW 0AL bass trom mouthpiece onto a SM4, and yes, it took a bit of getting used to but now I find it so comfy to play on, and produces a great sound!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone
    Baritone Mouthpiece
    EEb
    DW 6BS
    Stirling
  13. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Never been a fan of the Wick range. Used to play on a VB 4 or 3