Baritone Mouthpiece Advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetmad, Jul 22, 2008.

1. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

Hi Everyone

I have helped a few players in our band with changes to their mouthpieces in order to achieve different things. My expertise has been a bit limited to cornet / horn mouthpieces. One of the baritone players has approached me as it is likely that she is going to need to play 1st Baritone more often (she is currently 2nd). She is a bit concerned about her range as she is struggling with the upper register at times.

I have had a look at her current mouthpiece and was surprised to see that it appears to be a cheap looking generic mouthpiece with the marking G 6.0, our instruments normally have a Denis Wick with them, I suspect someone has swapped it at some point. Measurement reveals the diameter measurement to be 25mm.

I personally tend to use Bach mouthpieces (or Sparx for the cornet) but as she told me she previously had used a Denis Wick and most of the band do, I have looked into DW mouthpieces for Baritone and have read about the Steven Mead range. As she is already playing on a 25mm, I was wondering about the SM9 with the V-type backbore to assist her with her range. Does anyone have any advice on this please?

Many thanks

Nicola

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone Mouthpiece
    horn mouthpieces
    Bach mouthpieces
    DW mouthpieces
  3. Bit-part Bari

Bit-part Bari New Member

I've used the SM9 in the past but it tended to only be for specific test pieces where the 1st bari part was scored predominantly in the high-upper register - I found that I could get a much rounder sound on a mid-range mouthpiece for 'normal' work - I use a Bach 6 1/2 AL which works well for me. Hope this helps

4. cornetmad

cornetmad New Member

Thanks for your help Lee. Has anyone else had experience of the SM9 and views on any other suitable alternatives?

Many thanks

Nicola

5. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

The SM series I feel is one of the best. That and LOUD stainless steel mouthpieces. My son (16 years old), like me, is developing into a great euph player. I put him on a SM4 and his tone and intonation fell into place very quickly.

Before he was playing a Wick Heritage which is really a bone mpc. The SM made a LOT of difference. Personally I play the LOUD stainless steel series. LOUD mouthpieces are very dense and very smooth.

You can check out LOUD at www.loudmouthpieces.com if interested. You really could not go wrong with either in my opinion.

Jim

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I will second the Loud Mouthpiece range, I have Loud LM-7 for my Tuba and an LM-47 for my Boosey and co Euphonium, I find they extend my range on both instruments both upper register and lower

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Well, if nobody else is going to do it, I'll have to be the stock boogeyman giving the advice that no-one wants to hear...

Changing up a part, and worried about playing higher? Then practise more! A 25 mm diameter mouthpiece is an excellent size for playing 1st baritone on. Maybe the mouthpiece is a bad design within that size range (not necessarily true, given the description quoted; some older poorly marked mouthpieces play excellently), but this is a separate issue. Going smaller than the average [and the SM9 and Wick 9BS both are] is always a trade-off - more high register security, but fewer compliments on your tone quality.

8. MoominDave

p.s. Vincent Bach small shank trombone mouthpieces are well worth a look for the baritone. The catalogue (with listed rim sizes) is here; the relevant part is pages 22 and 23. The 7C I find to be a good alto trombone mouthpiece; something a little wider and deeper would be a good standard for 1st baritone - say a 6-1/2AM or AL.

p.p.s. Don't get too hung up with the rim sizes listed [or the manufacturer's hyperbole, sorry, descriptions] - it's notoriously hard to get them accurate. For example - the Bach 1G is listed as 28 mm across, while the Schilke 60 is listed as 29.03. However, everyone agrees that they are pretty much the same size, and that the Bach number is more wrong than the Schilke one.

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

The new Alliance mouthpieces might be worth a look too.

10. euphymike

euphymike Member

Love my VB 6 1/2 for my Baritone. I also have a 11 and 12 but find the rim has too much 'bite' for me on my lovely soft lips???? I have a SM6 and 9. I like the 6! So I went and loaned it to someone for the regionals this weekend. Will I see it again??????
    I also have a LOUD 47 (the stainless steel never seems to get really warmed up?) for my willson euph. although I've gone back to my favourite VB 5S i it seems to suit me best.

Must go and practice my new world sketches now for saturday in the architecturally pleasant box that is the Gordon Craig theatre in Stevenage. (I find the bland grey calming) Hardest part is a bottom A flat at double p ! Sounds like a good foghorn of a note when it comes out!

11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

:clap:
    I used to know a cornet/sop player who was totally obsessed by mouthpieces and would have 4 or more at any given rehearsal - for high bits, low bits, loud, soft, there's an R in the month..... but he clearly spent more time fiddling about with the mouthpieces than blowing through them because his sound was pants whatever he used!

Have a look at THIS thread too.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baritone Mouthpiece
    horn mouthpieces
    Bach mouthpieces
    DW mouthpieces
  13. euphymike

euphymike Member

I played in a band where the sop player brought two insturments to rehearsals and fiddled about changing between them all night! and on gigs too! However, he was a good player so I suppose the caues justified the end product.

Just got a VB 15C of ebay for a tenner so lets see if suits new more than my lovable 6 1/2?????

watch this space

14. MoominDave

I must confess to bringing more than one instrument and a pile of mouthpieces to rehearsals on occasions... It can turn into a bit of an addiction!

A 15C will be tiny for a barking iron, methinks... It's even too small to work well with my bass trumpet...

15. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

I agree with Dave. the 15C was at best an Alto trombone mpc. Very, very small compared to a 6 1/2 AL. Good luck with it. Anything smaller than the 12C is a very small mouthpiece. Most beginner bones at .500 bore come with a 12C. I generally try to get my students to learn on a 6 1/2 AL or a 7C/11C (those two are very close in size).

This helps them develop wind, their embouchure and their tone. A 15C -- oh my. Baritones usually need thicker sounds and the 15C is the wrong direction. Although everyone is different, it may work for you. But it is a HUGE jump from the 6 1/2 AL.

I love the LOUD series, the LM-48 would seem to be a good choice (albeit a bit expensive)
    http://www.loudmouthpieces.com/display_product.php?id=9

Good luck,

Jim

16. euphymike

euphymike Member

your right the 15C usual to me. My lips feel like they are slipping around on the rim. However, the upper register is superb with it. Clear and clean notes all the way up to 'G'
    and tonguing easy p to top 'D'. (do i every need those notes???) However, I think it's back to the VB 6 1/2 on the Foghorn.
    Go on then! say i told you so!

17. Aaron

Aaron Member

I currently use an SM6 & find it to be a pretty good all-rounder, in terms of range top c to a pedal c is not a problem. I have recently bought an SM4 to see the difference, but to me its very close to a euph sound and upper register is pretty hit & miss (although that could me down to my stamina, or lack of it!)
    Would be interested in trying out a bach as well

18. euphymike

euphymike Member

I notice from the VB interweb page thingy that the do a 6 3/4 which is marginally smaller than my 6 1/2. is it worth a try?? My VB 11 is better for me on the upper register and not so raspy down the bottom but I find it 'sharp' on the rim and seems to cut into me???. I think I need to try something just a bit smaller than the 6 1/2 now