baritone mouthpeices

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, Feb 16, 2004.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Hi there, my neice has recently got a decent baritone and now needs a new mouthpeice as the old one was very small which went with her old York baritone (she previously played horn)

We have got a 6BS at the moment but its a bit chipped and the plating has come off.....
    So, what size would be best and has anyone got one for sale?

cheers Shaz (MD Long Eaton)

2. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Denis Wick 6BS was the mouthpiece supplied when I bought 2 new Sovereign baritones for our band.
    I recently bought one of the players a Wick 4AY (Ebay, £10!) as he wanted something a bit bigger.
    As far as I know, the 4AY is the same as the 4AL (which is popular with large bore tenor trombonists) but with a baritone fitting.
    There is (was?) a 4BY also which I think is slightly shallower than a 4AY but I stand to be corrected.

3. Owen

Owen Member

Shaz

I play on a 5AY which I found to be a compromise between size and the ability to play high register stuff for a long period of time. The choice your niece makes may well depend on whether she will be playing 1st or 2nd baritone.

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Wouldn't it also depend on the desired effect?? If she wants a lighter thinnere sound, or a more rounder sound??

5. Bones

Bones Member

Shaz,

Give me a call, I've got a bag full of m/pieces that Emma can try out.

Cheers

Rich

6. satchmo shaz

good point, she is 10, nearly 11 and she is 2nd bari, she tends to play a little flat in bottom register but struggles with top A and above.

We are a 3rd section band

7. satchmo shaz