Baritone doubling with Cornet/Trumpet

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Harry Hilgers, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Harry Hilgers

Harry Hilgers New Member

Comeback player. Picked up trumpet/cornet again three years ago.

Now starting to double up on Baritone Horn. New Baritone coming next week.

Will be playing Baritone in geezer community concert band, while playing trumpet in geezer brass ensemble and Dixieland band.

One of my great loves is playing cornet (or Tenor or Baritone) in a British Brass Band.

However, since I moved, my old BBB rehearsals are a 100 mile round trip through heavy rush hour traffic. I have come to an age where I just no longer want to do that.

I had no luck trying to start a more local BBB .

As I am embarking on my Baritone venture I am sure I will have plenty of questions.

Cheers
    Harry

2. Shifty

Shifty New Member

Welcome aboard, Harry. I'm pretty new here as well, but we've met on TH. Hope the forum has many answers to your plenty of questions.

Harry Hilgers likes this.
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Baritone Horn can mean something different to folk in the USA and folk in the U.K. Here we have Euphoniums and Baritones, they’re the same pitch but the former I believe to be a Tuba and the later a Horn (a larger and lower pitched version of the Tenor Horn).

No luck with starting a BBB, but you might like to consider trying to start an all Brass Quintet (five piece) group using Brass Band instruments. Big Shinny Brass do some excellent arrangements for such small groups and they aren’t expensive.

Welcome to tmp, the number of USA based members is increasing so you’ll likely find yourself sharing more experiences with fellow countrymen at some point.

4. Harry Hilgers

Harry Hilgers New Member

Hi Shifty, thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to get answers on my many yet to formulate brass questions, especially wrt my new Baritone journey.

Cheers :)
    Harry
    Thanks for the welcome.

In the United States we actually do have both euphonium‘s and barytones. They are each in the same key of Bb. Both are played in American and British style brass bands as well as in community concert bands. The same holds true for Tubas.

I am currently a member of a geezer brass ensemble. There were use trumpets but no cornets. Mostly because none of the members have a cornet. We do use Baritone’s, Euphonium‘s, French horn’s and Tuba’s

In my neck of the woods I simply have not yet found any cornet players, YET. But I will keep trying. As you suggested, a quintet (sexted, etc) with cornets,
    Tenor/Alto Horns, Baritone/Euphonium and Tuba would be cool. Meanwhile I will just stick with my geezer brass (any brass) ensemble and my geezer Dixieland band. Then at some point I may swap my trumpet playing for baritone playing in our local geezer concert community band.

Cheers
    Harry

Jack E likes this.
  5. Harry Hilgers

Harry Hilgers New Member

OK folks, I got my new baritone. It’s the student model King 625. That’s all I can afford. It came with a Bach 6.5AL mouthpiece. As expected, the mouthpiece feels like a bathtub. For those among you that double between trumpet and baritone I would love to hear what Baritone mouthpiece size you are using.
    Thanks.
    Harry

6. Shifty

Shifty New Member

At my experience level, I may be the last person you'd want to listen to. But I'll transmit anyway and hope it helps.

My Wessex baritone came with a Wessex 6.5A which felt like a bird bath. I tried a Kelly 12C which made it easier to produce a tone, then an even smaller Stork T3 which seemed even better. After a while, as I started to develop the different embouchure required, I switched back to the 6.5. It produces a much nicer tone and now seems quite comfortable. So the smaller pieces were a crutch to get started, but you'll eventually want to settle into something more appropriate such as the one you have.

Others will tell you the 6.5 is too small. Time and experience will tell.

2nd tenor likes this.
  7. Harry Hilgers

Harry Hilgers New Member

Shifty, what size Trumpet piece do you play?

8. Shifty

Shifty New Member

Stork Vacchiano 5 series or Bach 6 on trumpet and cornet, sometimes Wick 5B on cornet. So a bit smaller than most.

9. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Most Euphonium players that I know use something larger like a Bach 4G, but it takes considerable time and practice to build the chops for a large mouthpiece.

10. Harry Hilgers

Harry Hilgers New Member

Let me restate my question:
    I am a trumpet player. I am starting to experiment with doubling up on baritone.
    My question is for those, who are trumpet players first and formost but also double up on baritone or trombone.
    What size of mouthpiece did you end up using for the baritone or the trombone.
    It is just a curiosity thing.
    I will give an example: Maynard Ferguson used a relative small mouthpiece on his baritone.
    Thanks.
    Cheers
    Harry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice