Baritone advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by pilgrim_pete, Apr 15, 2014.

1. pilgrim_pete

pilgrim_pete New Member

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new baritone and just really looking for peoples opinions. I am open to suggestions about what people think on brands.

So far, the only one I have played is the standard sovereign, but so old it still claims to be a B&H Besson.

There are a couple of Yorks I can try, including a 4 valver, and possibly the new Yammy Neo when it comes out.

Opinions greatly appreciated, thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yammy Neo
    new baritone
    new Yammy Neo
    H Besson
    standard sovereign
  3. pbirch

pbirch Member

thing is, it's your money, not ours - try them all for yourself and then pay your money and make your choice. it is all about how an instrument feels in your hands and on your face and how it sounds to you, beyond that no one else's opinions matter a jot. Enjoy the shopping

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I got a new one last year - tried just about everything but ended up with another 3 valve Sov.

I would be quite interested to try a Neo and see what its like.... I've tried and hated the other Yam baris, but I really liked their horns. It looks very similar to the Sov though, and if the other similar models anything to go by, the original is still the best imho!

5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Dont get one thats too good, dont forget us baritone players need an excuse now and then, the best one ive found is "the duff instrument" one.

6. Rob

Rob Member

I bought a Sterling last year and it's absolutely fantastic. I had played Sovereigns for years, which I thought were all excellent, and done some work with the Yamahas, but the sound the Sterling produces is like nothing I've played before. Not sure who your local dealer is, but Glyn William is the Sterling dealer up here in the North West.

7. Absolutely agree. Contact John Packer Ltd in Taunton. They're not too far from you.

8. pilgrim_pete

pilgrim_pete New Member

Have to say, when I played euph I thought the Sterling was excellent, so I'll see if i can get my hands on one to try. Just to check, is it the one which on the JP website is listed as a JP Sterling instrument?

I may also be having a look at a mates york 4 valve. I am considering used if it is in good condition, so what you you guys say a 6yr old one be price wise with general wear and tear?

9. pilgrim_pete

pilgrim_pete New Member

Luckily most of the band know its a duff instrument, so I'll need to think of a new excuse

10. JP Sterling is a mass produced model. Paul Riggett makes his Sterling by hand. Check out:
    http://www.sterlingbrass.co.uk/contactus.htm

John Packer Ltd work with Sterling so can organise something if Bedford is too far to go.

11. foxyflug

foxyflug Member

Hi,

Although we're based in Saddleworth, Glyn does work with customers the length and breadth of the country. He would be more than happy to organise for you to try a Sterling baritone and would also accompany you to the Sterling factory to choose your own instrument prior to silver-plating and finishing off if you didn't just want to buy "off the shelf".

Drop us and email at info@glynwilliamsmusic.co.uk or call Glyn on 07976 628956 for a chat.

Regards

Helen Williams

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Yammy Neo
    new baritone
    new Yammy Neo
    H Besson
    standard sovereign
  13. pilgrim_pete

pilgrim_pete New Member

I have been in contact with Paul Riggett today, and he advised me that my local shop (Trevada Music) will be getting a heavy bell Sterling in stock after Easter, so I think after the Spring Festival I'll have a blow.

Thanks for replying Helen, I remember dealing with Glyn on the trade stand at the 2009 lower section nationals and I was very impressed with the advice given then so of that is the route I decide to go down, I would be delighted to come up and have a look around