Banks and Braes-Tenor Horn solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Masterblaster jnr, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Does anyone know the publisher of Banks and Braes??? It's the one on Owen Farr's CD, and it's a belter!!!!! :tup

Cheers in advance
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You'll find it here (on the tenor horn solo page) at Mostyn Music's site.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

From the 4BarsRest review:

I'm not sure that this helps to be honest, but as far as I know the only published version is Adrian Drover's Bb solo.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ian, Mostyn Music is the publisher! ;)
  5. WoodenFlugel

Damn! Proven wrong by Tom!! (Good spot BTW!!!)

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A good search & find with Ms. Google usually gets a result :cool:

post-note ... the pdf. of the CD sleevenotes is here
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  7. WoodenFlugel

Well I'm having a brief flirtation with Ms. Carlsberg - hence the delayed reactions!!

Anyway - good luck with it - I'm currently playing it as a flugel solo and despite my best efforts at our last concert (which I described as "smashing my way through it" :redface:) it really is an incredibly pretty tune, with gorgeous lyrics too.

Given that Brassneck has given you all the info - and that its by the Scottish poet - I'd make sure you do a good job of it, or else he might be after you...;)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ye Banks and Braes

Ye banks and braes o' bonnie Doon, How can ye bloom sae fresh and fair? How can ye chant, ye little birds, And I sae weary, fu' o' care! Thou'll break my heart, thou warbling bird, That wantons thro' the flowering thorn! Thou minds me o' departed joys, Departed, never to return. Aft hae I rov'd by bonnie Doon
    To see the rose and woodbine twine; And ilka bird sang o' its luve, And fondly sae did I o' mine; Wi' lightsome heart I pu'd a rose, Fu' sweet upon its thorny tree! And my fause luver stole my rose - But, ah! he left the thorn wi' me.
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

And you'd better make the most of it - there aren't many banks left in Scotland these days :oops:

(. . . coat :( )
  10. Jon, you can get the Horn version from Just Music, tis where I got my copy from ;)
  11. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

It brings a tear tae ma een an' maks me feel fair hameseek...! :(
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Puir quine! :cool:
  13. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Rob Collinson's registered on the forum here and occasionally works for me - I'll get him to look in if necessary.
  14. blasterbates

blasterbates Member

Agreed - I've just 'borrowed' MBJ's CD and it's a lovely tune. :)
    Looking forward to working on that one at Band. :tup