Bank Card Been Copied/Fraudulently Used

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by HaleStorm, Aug 7, 2009.

1. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Hi guys, i was wondering if this had happened to anyone else recently

The bank rang me up yesterday telling me someone had either tried to copy my card or use it for what they thought was fraudulent activity, but when i checked through all my transactions and "attempted" transactions they were all ones i could vouch for.

Im trying to narrow down what it could have been that triggered there computers to think i was doing something dodgey. Because i dont think i have done anything out of the usual.

Thanks for any comments you can give in helping me figure out whats gone on
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

This might seem a silly question and I'm sure you verified it but was it the bank that rang you? I'm always very suspicious of any call which claims to be from the bank - for example how do you know it is the bank unless you are ringing them?

If they attempt to ask you some "security" questions how do you know you're not in fact disclosing that information to an identity thief? A phone call is no less secure than a spam email - "please click this link and give us all your log on information"

oh and if it was the bank the next time they contact you it will probably to sell you Identity Theft protection lol
  3. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

yeah it was definatly the bank because it was my branches phone number that showed up, and they didn't ask me to disclose any details other than the numbers in my postcode and the 2nd and 5th letter of my password. I think i get the ID Theft free with my bank account, i have one of those gold account things where you get extra benefits like travel insurance and what not. So i just have to sit it out until i get a new bank card, 4days without easy access to money...pain in the backside
  4. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

It can be something as simple as a large payment to a company, or two payments in a row (like double billing) that can trigger off a fraud on your account. Also, if the bank received a request for a DD or a Standing Order without a signature on it, or mis-matched amounts on a cheque or whatever...there are loads of things they check for.
  5. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

ahh a double charge, that may have been it, i was topping up my cousins phone for her and accidentally put £5 on instead of £10 so i made another £5 straight after, that may have been the trigger if they have seen it as a double charge
  6. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I used to work in an expenses dept for a multi national, we used credit cards for the expenses, and lots of cards were cloned. The banks are pretty vigilant. If you use your card in London at 11am and then 10 mins later it's used on the other side of the world (for a "person is present" transaction), that's one of the things they pick up. There may have been a transaction that they didn't show on your statement as it's clearly fraud to them, or they refused it. Either way, it's great to have them on side. They also look at spending patterns. Once my ex got a call to say "your card is being used a lot today" when I went pre-holiday shopping! :oops:

What you really want to worry about is, where did you use the card that someone took it out of site, or cloned the details from it in front of you? A big scam used to be that restaurants would take the card away to swipe it in their machine, and some unscrupulous individuals would clone the card first, then give the details to their buddies to create a copy and start using it. Anywhere that doesn't have chip and pin would be a potential for this. Also, some gangs tried to install chip and pin machines in some shops over here that didn't previously have it (they were pretending to be from banks), and a lot of customers lost their card details that way.

The only other way that I can think that you might have lost the details would be if you entered them into an insecure site to pay for something, or you have a trojan on your pc that picked up the details when you entered them on a secure site.

No matter what you do, sometimes this stuff might happen, but as long as you do your best to prevent it, the bank should pick anything up fairly swiftly, and sort it out. Can be really inconvenient to have your card stopped when you're working abroad, and have a big hotel bill to pay, but luckily most banks will courier emergency cards in that situation/make some other method of payment available.
  7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Yes it could be that - its called velocity checking. I work with a company responsible for those fast ticket machines on stations and its a standard anti fraud messure that if you stick your card in again and again and order for instance travel cards (which can be sold on easily) then the credit card company refuse the payment. I suppose phone top ups are also a favourite fraudulant activity too
  8. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

im posotive its not been anywhere out of my sight. a large amount of spending could have triggered it because i ordered a few things on the internet that day. Im confident i dont have anything on my PC, and i pay through paypal for nearly everything online. So i think it will be those phone topups i did, because it was the same transaction twice to a name not matching the one on the card (the phones under my cousins name)
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Going by the information you've posted its probably nothing to worry about and the bank are just being cautious. I would monitor my statements carefully for a few weeks just to be sure.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Surely the bank's retail fraud team would have asked you to only account for particular transactions that were identified as risky? I must admit that mobile top-ups are quite commonplace in fraud. It's the merchant banks that control acceptance of card details. Declines result from what's been covered above ... velocity spending and large values (usually above £1500). Small, innocent looking payments to charity organisations online is a tell tale sign that your card details may be compromised. Apart from them there are loads of indicators and triggers that hint at identity fraud.
  11. bbg

bbg Member

Following on from John's post above, I would also urge checking statements carefully.
    Some years ago, pre-chip&PIN, our account was fraudulently accessed by a supermarket cashier.
    She copied (badly as it turned out) my wife's signature and card details from a slip then put through small items - £2 or so - but then took "cash back" of £40 or £50; at that time our weekly shopping would be around £50- £60 (told you it was a while ago!) so glancing at statements and seeing the likes of "£51.87" to the supermarket may not have been noticed by some folks.
    On more up to date matters - a very common thing for card fraudsters / thieves to try these days is a very small transaction online - typically an iTunes download - to check if the card is "working" or has been blocked.
  12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

My ex once got a phone call from Barclays. He worked in London, and had got some money out of a cash machine, then went back to the office and paid for our weekend away in Paris about an half an hour later. As the card had been registered as used in London and Paris within an hour, the bank phoned him to check all was okay!

The only card I will use online is my credit card with a small limit. If that gets wiped out its not so much of a big deal as my current account.
  13. Columbo

Columbo Member

Someone once used my business account to spend £590 online at River Island!! The Cheek!
  14. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

yikes....i did take the oppertunity when they rang to tell them i was going to USA so they hopefully wont cancel my card if i have to use it out there. hopefully i wont have to though. Ive been checking my account and statements everyday and nothings out of order, so im happy that i've not lost any money. So all is well, i think
  15. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Don't bank on it (excuse the pun!)

I went to Florida last May, and just to be sure, I called my bank to tell them I would be using my card whilst I was there, Knowing that I'd be getting my weekly pay twice whilst I was there. It let me make one transaction, then my card was blocked. So I called them again and they told me they had re-instated my card. When I turned my mobile on the next morning, I had a voice mail from the bank asking me to call them urgently as there were some suspicious transactions......

In the end, they sorted it out and hapilly refunded me for the £25 I had spent on calling them!

On the other hand, a few years ago, I did have my card cloned. They emptied my account at a cashpoint in London at the same time that I was on a night shift in Cambridge. Took ages to get my money back but they did completely refund me in the end, which goes to show that card insurance is a waste of time, because they refund you anyway, so long as you report it to them and the police
  16. floppymute

floppymute Member

It's happened to me twice recently, but they were related incidents.
    Using a credit card I ordered two Cd's (not from a Brass Band company) from a respected and supposedly secure website. A few days later I had a call from my credit card provider about a suspected fraudulent transaction. A week or so later I ordered another CD from the same company using a completely different card. Same result! It was only then that the link was realised, as the CD suppliers were the only common denominator - turns out their site had been compromised.
    Thankfully on both occasions both of my credit card companies were on the ball and spotted the attempted fraud. I used to get annooyed when trying to pay at a till and the payment had to be verified on occasion. I don't now!
  17. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

It irritates me that people get these cautionary phone calls and card-blockings from the bank yet when I was at in england and someone was withdrawing £750 from my account in Bondhi beach no one bothered to tell me, even when it was taken out in two installments! :rolleyes:

Anyway, got the money back, just had to wait a while before it went into my account.
  18. andyp

andyp Active Member

Had this happen Xmas shopping last year, use the same card too many times in a short space of time, even for small transactions, and you run the risk of getting it blocked!
  19. floppymute

floppymute Member

I refer to my post above. This blocking/checking of the card at the till has happened to me in exactly the same way. Yes, it can be irritating and maybe even embarrassing when there's a queue behind you, but in the light of the experience I outlined above it's a small price to pay to know that the card companies are at least on the lookout for potential fraud, and at least sometimes they protect your back, as in my case