Bandsmen to Pay to Play at Area Contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Francis, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Francis

David Francis Member

Judging by the last press statement to the British Bandsman by the Midland Area, next March players will have to show their bandsman's ticket to gain admission to "all areas". These tickets were previously free, but in future they will have to be paid for. The amount to be charged has not been made public yet.
    The organisers justify charging players to play in order to pay for two adjudicators for all sections.
    I am not in favour of two adjudicators as I believe judging a performance is a totally personal experience.
    If both judges are placed together then the stronger personality will have hold sway, and if they are placed apart then the result must end up as a compromise. Can you imagine them getting placings from 6th to 15th in any kind of similarity?
    I wonder if any other areas are going to ask all competing bandsmen to pay for the privilege of playing, or are the Midlands area bands the only victims?
    Dai Francis

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    British
    Midland Area
    Area Contests
    Midlands area bands
    British Bandsman
  3. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

No such problem in Scotland - 2 adjudicators in all sections, and I have never had to pay for a bandsmans ticket yet. Im not aware of any changes...

4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Its not "pay to play" or anything particularly sinister. We have discussed this at length here:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15750

...and within that thread is an explaination of what is going on at next years area. As the thread pretty much covers everything on this subject I will close this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.