Bands Reunited

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by bassmittens, Apr 25, 2006.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Not sure if this is the correct place to post such a thread or question, but i couldn't find any reference to something similar.

Have any of the Mods ever thought about starting up a "Bands Reunited" section to re-unite former players of bands.

I have been lucky enough to come across a couple of old friends from bands i played in some years ago, only by chance, through Tmp. Not sure how the technicalities of all this may work (and not wanting to tread on the toes of a well known 'reuniting' website) but it's an idea i've been pondering over and have discussed with a few others who all think it may be a great service to be able to offer.

Tmp has so many users and viewers across the country (and world!) and i'm sure there are many other bands-persons out there who have moved away from an area and lost touch with former players and friends. What a great way to bring together the banding comunity across the country.

Anyone else agree/disagree? or think i'm talking rubbish??

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bands Reunited
    Mods
    players of bands
    country
    thread
  3. Steve

Steve Active Member

Almost the right place. I have move it to the sugestions area as......well, its a suggestion :)

4. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Thanks Steve,

I nearly posted it here, but changed my mind at the last minute!:rolleyes:

Oh Well:oops:

5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

That's a great idea maybe you could have an extra search option on this site that rather than looking for a screen name it looks for the persons actual name and by putting an extra field in the users profile for previous band the search could be adapted for that.

I'm sure it wouldn't be to much work to sort out would it tmp bosses

Good thinking Bassmittens

6. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

or,... in the same way that there was a category for the midlands areas, there could be a category for each band (started by anyone who was in that band and wanted to start it) and then anyone whose on TMP and who wants to be found/find someon, could put their names and dates they played in it.

7. Bungle

Bungle Member

Couldn't there be another heading in peoples public profile for 'previous bands' that could be searchable.

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Absolutely! :clap:This sort of functionality is easy to instate and deploy, and as ever I am more than happy to add what functionality you guys and gals feel would benefit you as users of tMP. This information can also be 'outputted' to the members post information area if required so that anyone could see at-a-glance what bands that person has been a member of previously.

Let me think on this one as to how best to do it, please do comment and let me have your thoughts though.

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not sure that's a totally good idea to place them in there - some folks have quite a number of previous bands and this would extend the page lengths making each page look rather ridiculous with loads of blank spaces in posts themselves! ;)

10. TheMusicMan

Am considering adding a link in User post info area that opens a new small window containing the members previous bands (if they have entered this info in their UserCP area that is).

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

:tup Seems like a good option. Will ths be searchable?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bands Reunited
    Mods
    players of bands
    country
    thread
  13. TheMusicMan

Now that... is a good question...:) I will find out.

14. TheMusicMan

15. TheMusicMan

I made a comment a few days ago in here where someone sugested that it might be good to have an area on the profile where a members playing or banding experience was viewable (if they had entered it and wanted it publicly viewable that is). So, over the last few days I have been working on a script that actually does just this, which is now available if you want to use it.

Have a look at any thread or post I have made, and underneath where it says my tMP Administrator title, there is some text that says Playing Experience. Simply hover your mouse over that and take a look at what happens.

Good eh!! Mine is only test text, but illustrates what it does.

Now, to do this for yourself, go to your UserCP > Profile > Playing Experience (at the bottom) follow the instructions and enter some details for yourselves. The 'Playing Experience' text only shows on the post area when you have actually added your information into your profile... if you haven't added anything then nothing shows.... clever eh!

Let me know what you think.

16. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

As usual, excellent work. Took some filling in though :)

17. Di

Di Active Member

Got mine all listed too. :)

The function is also "searchable". To trace members of a band, go to advanced members search > previous playing experience and type in the name of the band. Any tMP members who have listed that band in their profile will appear in the search results. :clap:

18. jonford

jonford Member

trying to fill it in now, but I can't remember all the years! Nice touch though

19. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Done mine, but compared to some, I'm a 'hermit'! ;)

20. lewis

lewis Member

Have just added mine, very cool, nice one boys.

21. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Done mine too - hard remembering when I did what though! :clap:

22. davidsait

davidsait Member

You can add bands that you've played with on Friends Reunited already.