bands playing at weddings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by satchmo shaz, Feb 25, 2005.

1. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

well last Friday I conducted my band at my eldest sons wedding, complete with BIG hat!!
    half of my family were in the band as well and the other half were in the bridal party!! Other son was best man, 2 neices and nephew were bridesmaids and page boy, they all normally play in the band! so I had to get a couple of deps in!Sister in law Elma played "Orange juice" and brother Carl played "Be my love"...... ahhhh....
    Bizaare really!
    The band played well and a great day was had by all! :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    wedding
    sons
    band
    Carl
    son
  3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Lovely! Sounds like a right good blow....
    I had a band at my wedding, you can't beat it.
    Best of luck to the newlyweds
    BigMamaBadger
    xx

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Manx Concert Brass did us proud on our big day (we're both ex-members).

And, surprising as it sounds.. Philip Sparkes "Birthday Fafare" works a treat to accompany the Bride walking down the asile!! We didn't fancy the typical Charpontier, or Purcell Preludes/voluntarys.. we wanted something contemporary and it fitted the bill nicely.

Played for quite a few weddings with MCB during my time with them. The best ones were for band members, all that suspicious coughing when the celebrant asks the question ... "if there is anyone present who can think of a reason why these two people here should not be joined in marriage, speak now or forever hold your (piece) peace!!" followed by a chorus of coughing from MCB.. great fun!!

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The Mrs. and I had a brass band at our wedding (hard to believe she's put up with me for ten years -this August).

I even composed my one and only piece ever for the occasion (it was procession for the bridesmaids). I also did an arrangement of the "Lord's prayer" for solo euph and vocalist with brass band accompaniment...the band helped complete what in my opinion was one of the most perfect wedding ceremonies ever (Of course I am a bit biased) ;)

6. Chris Kirk

Chris Kirk Member

satchmo shaz and the wedding

I played in the band, which was fantastic, no rehearsal beforehand, good music and everyone loved it. Normal stuff: played, drank lots, woke up with a major headache.

Shaz, it was a big hat!

Chris

Welwyn Garden City. First band LESPB 30 years ago.

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I thouht Elsa's was stunning, and not a dry eye in the house when Elma played "orange juice" and Carl "Be my Love"!!

cheap beer at the band club after, what more could you ask!! :) (B)

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I had a band at my wedding to merrylittlehornplayer and hehe.. guess what, I played at it too!!!

Great fun!

The localpaper were there for photos etc, and the headline was 'Band of Gold'...:clap:

9. Chris Kirk

Chris Kirk Member

Wedding

Shaz,

I thought it was excellent, to say it was a scracth band, everyone played really well.

Don't you just love sight reading at these gigs?

See you in Stevenage 20th March....Rienzi beckons

Chris

10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Me and Aardvark had a band at our wedding. Our only regret is that we didn't get a video of the event.

We walked in to Purcell's Trumpet Tune and out to Widor's Toccata.

We had John Wallace and Aardvark's best friend perform Let the Bright Seraphim.

Our vicar was a bit old and dithery so the 'Signing the Register' music went on for about ½ an hour.

The music topped off a fantastic day. You can't beat the sound of brass music resounding around a church. :tup

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I played at Princess Anne's first wedding - only I was standing in the rain outside St James's Palace listening on the radio to the Kneller Hall trumpeters, who were not only in the warm, but also receiving MU & Equity rates as well :mad:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    wedding
    sons
    band
    Carl
    son
  13. Hollso

Hollso Member

The only wedding I've ever been to was the one we played at in Lockwood for a band members relative. It sounded loverly, and we played some pieces I'd love to have at my wedding. *swoons off dreamily*

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I've played at...4 weddings I think and one coming up in the not too distant future ;) (not my own though, far too young for all that jazz, despite my class insisting on calling me Mrs Twigge :mad: !). Played at a handful of funerals too , but as yet no christenings.

Available for rent: 1 Twigge fludgelator type for christenings.

15. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I had a band at my wedding that was made up completely of our mates. The vicar couldn't understand that we wouldn't be needed the services of the organist on the day "What, not even for the hymns??" he kept asking! Went into music from the fireworks (how prophetic THAT turned out to be!) and walked out to a specially composed piece by Stephen Sharples - HorniKaz's big bro. Fantastic music it was too - finished beautifully by Keith on Sop hitting and holding a perfectly in tune top C. I remember waiting on the church steps to hear him get it before I'd go outside!!

I've played at 6 weddings with various bands, and no, you can't beat a thumping good brass band in churches, especially for weddings. Only played at one funeral and that was hard enough.

16. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

My brother, now known as Steven Sandiford (don't ask!!), also wrote my wedding march! I was nearly in tears!! I didn't have a brass band because I was having a break from banding at the time. I had 3 trumpets, including Colin Duxbury, & 3 trombones, including my brother, & keyboard. They were fab!

I played at Pam's wedding! Played at about 5 weddings. It's so hard to play when you're crying.

Also played at a couple of funerals. We had 2 fantastic blokes from Hoover pass away within 5 months of each other in 1999. It was a real honour to be able to give them a good send off!

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Why do women always cry at weddings?

18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

'cause they either wish it was their big day and they were up there or they are remember back to the good old days before the gave their life away to some daft bloke!!

19. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Because we are a very emotional breed!!

20. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Don't start me off - 8 weeks til my big day (accompanied by tMP's finest!) and I got all emotional when the banns were read so what I'll be like on the day is a scary thought. I have appointed one bridesmaid as chief Kleenex monitor and my veil will become another useful hanky I'm sure.

I'll let you know how emotional I get - altho I'm sure the band will get there first!

Rach x

21. LyndsayB

LyndsayB New Member

Manx Concert Brass played at my wedding last year (we're both members). I stole solo horn and cornet player for bridesmaids, he stole 2nd Euph for best man and my uncle played with the band, along with most of our closest friends. We went out to Entry of the Gladiators, was hilarious. Would also reccommend Swedish Folk Song for signing of register, still brings tears to my eyes six months on. can't beat having Floral Dance at reception, confused our non banding guests though!

22. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I didn't think that Swedish Folk Song was that bad... :)

Floral Dance was OK, I think it was when Mephistopholies (sp) was played about 4 times in a row the "non banders" got a bit scared!..

I don't know really, it's all a bit of a vague memory.. I think I had a half or two....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005