Bands nearest my University

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Righteo, just finished my A Level exams and I'm heading to either Huddersfield or Salford come September 2006.

Just wondering what the best bet for bands would be round that area?

I am currently assistant principal cornet in a 3rd section band so probably looking at Tutti cornet positions in a 3rd section, back row in a 1st/2nd section and possibly even Principal in a 4th section.

I know this is a bit premature but I'm all a-excited :clap:
  2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

There really are a huge amount of bands around both Manchester (Salford) and Huddersfield. I think your best bet is to settle in on the course and see what crops up!
  3. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

Your always welcome to come down to the haydock band in St Helens. We're in the championship section so it'll be a step up for you. Always good to have a challenge!! Theres always someone going from manchester so they should be able to pick you up en rounte if you study at salford.

If you need more info just PM me
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

5. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

What you'll find is that during the first few weeks there will be posters up by various bands on the notice boards. I know that this is the case at Salford. I advise you to be patient and seek the advice of the tutors. They will recommend what they think would be best for your playing i.e. a higher seat in a lower section band or a lower seat in a higher section band.
  6. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

There's too many bands to list around Manchester, if you come down here you'll have plenty of choice!
  7. flower girl

flower girl Member

Huddersfield area's got loads of brass bands.
    Huddersfield brass
    Emley brass band
    Hebden Bridge
    Skelmanthorpe .........

And alot more. If you go on and type in west yorkshire, it gives you alot of bands from the huddersfielfd area
  8. becks164

becks164 Member

there is so many bands in huddersfield, and we have some of the best bands in england in huddersfield,
  9. stopher

stopher Member

Or, when you're in the pub after band/lecture/concerts etc, you find someone who will buy you so much beer, you will sign anything and don't realise until they pick you up for the next rehearsal.

Or at least that was the Saynor Recruitment technique I seem to remember!