Bands near Swansea

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jezzabell, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Jezzabell

Jezzabell Member

My friend Sara is moving to Swansea to the uni there and she would like to know of any bands in the area? She has been playing horn for St Dennis in Cornwall. If you can help please reply :)
  2. jim

jim Member

Theres many in the swansea are Burry port are the best band in the area but there a bit further west, Pontadiliis, amonford, glyneath, penclawdd theres quite a choice!! mail me if you need any contacts ect
  3. cwmamanbird

cwmamanbird Member

Cwmaman is only about 30 mins from Swansea and we have a number of players who live in the Swansea area so if she wanted to come along for a blow, no doubt we could arrange a lift..
  4. Barking Baritone!

Barking Baritone! New Member

5. Hoss

Hoss Member

If your in Swansea, it depends where abouts you are. Penclawdd were the enfant terrible of the championship section in the mid 80's fuelled by the legions of players who came through the brilliant West Glamorgan Youth Brass Band.
    The mecurial Tony Small (still the MD of Penclwadd) and the tutors had the knack of developing talent, some of which made it into the professional ranks most notably his eldest son, Gareth who is a monstrous trumpet talent with the Halle / London Brass, or players that went North and worked with a number of the great bands including Dyke, Faireys and Fodens.

You could do a lot worse than look them up and they are on a bit of a comeback trail again.

TIMBONE Active Member

Is Crwbin near Swansea?
  7. welsh_cornetto

welsh_cornetto New Member

What instrument does she play?
  8. welsh_cornetto

welsh_cornetto New Member

I know that Burry Port are full and have no vacancies at the moment.
    If I was you id try and get in touch with Penclawdd band or pontarddulais band. They are both about 20 minutes away from Swansea.
  9. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Relatively. I'd say about 40 minutes' drive, allowing time to find the village which isn't the most central! They're a great bunch though and they'd welcome any new player who wanted to join them for a blow.
  10. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Hi - I've been working a few days a week in Swansea for nearly a year so have been a bit of a band tart of late having had a blow with most of the bands in the area. I have contact details (took some effort to get them – why don’t bands have up to date websites with contact details a map and rehearsal times - sorry, a quick rant) for most of them if you want.

Bit hazy on sections as they have National and local grading here. Have put some Google map mileages in (from Swansea centre?).

Ones I've tried out:

Ammanford (1st Section). 18 miles
    I have a feeling that they may no longer be running? Always a small turnout whenever I went.

Britton Ferry (2nd section). 7 miles.
    Nice Bandroom (bar available). Generally a good turnout the couple of times I've been there.

Burry Port (Championship section). 20 miles.
    An excellent band. Only been once as it’s not the sort of band you can just turn up for a blow. Have a waiting list to get in!

Crwbin (4th Section). 23 miles.
    Naturally Welsh speaking, but they have a mate of mine from Bristol on Principal Cornet so rehearsals are in English (mostly). Nice Bandroom in a country setting!
    Cwmaman (Chamionship section). 30 miles (hmm - 30mins?)
    Another very good band, but would suggest it’s a bit far to commit to.

Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen (4th section national). 13 miles
    Quite a young band – even has a sweet shop! Tea at half-time.

Llwydcoed (4th section). 26 miles.
    Mention them as it’s my sister’s band (and it’s about 5 miles closer than Cwmaman. Off to Harrogate soon.

Loughor (4th section). 7 miles.
    Only been once, but very welcoming. Seem to have plenty of bums-on-seats. Only practice once a week and not big on contesting. £1.70 a pint at the boat club.

Penclawdd (1st section). 8 miles.
    On the edge of the Gower. Band is doing well (off to Harrogate too). Couple of times I’ve been – seemed to be a lack of front row cornets (if you want a change).

Pontarddulais (1st section). 11 miles.
    My normal band of choice (tend to lodge out there) – always very well attended. Nice band room (bar available).

Others in the area that I haven’t been to yet are: Glynneath (I haven’t been able to find any contact details for them), Ystradgynlais (and have Ystelafera still got a band?).

All really depends upon how far you’re prepared to travel I suppose, as there are loads more when you get into the valley. And there’s always Lydney (75 miles)?

Good hunting.