Bands in the national press again!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Feb 27, 2006.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The Telegraph carried an article on Saturday about shenanigans at the Northallerton band. Try searching the Daily Telegraph website - and I hope you have more luck than me in finding the article!
  2. MickM

MickM Member

Do you mean this one?
  3. James Yelland

That's the one - thanks!
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Similar article appeared in Saturday's Mail with a nice picture of the lady and gentleman involved holding their trombones.

Wouldn't want to comment on rights or wrongs - but crikey 5,000.00 already spent on legal fees and people talking about going to High Court. This is just the kind of press that band's need - NOT.
  5. The_Eighth_Dwarf

The_Eighth_Dwarf New Member

Well without knowing the full story & the band in questions constitution I don't think any of us can comment, but from the general overview it does seem like a bit of an overreaction suing a band because you have been kicked out. Costs everyone money and doesn't seen to achieve much.
  6. 8th position

8th position Member

I saw the article in Saturday's Telegraph and couldn't help wondering, what it the object of taking the band to court over this? Is it solely to try and obtain some kind of monetary compensation because the players in question "had" to leave the band?
  7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

OMG :shock:
    just shows what can happen when people take their hobbies too seriously!
  8. andyp

andyp Active Member

Not many facts to go on there, but it does seem to have gone a bit OTT.

It does say they "disagreed with a committee decision", which kind of implies they weren't just told by the conductor or someone to leave off-hand. Certainly in a lot of bands membership is decided on by the committee.
    I guess the outcome will depend on whether the band's rules were followed properly.
    Doesn't bring much credit on either party, really, IMO.
  9. postie

postie Member

I read the article yesterday can't help thinking the only ones who are really benefitting from this are the lawyers and solicitors!!!!
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I have been in touch with the band and have invited them to comment on tMP either directly or through me. Will update if I hear back from them.
  11. Whit Thursday Man!

Whit Thursday Man! New Member

Get a life!

Seems to me that someone needs to get a life and not throw away a band's funds to the lawyers. Saying that, the newspaper report may not be fully representative of all the issues.

All I can say is, it can't be worth potentially bankrupting a band over something that seems from the report to be so trivial!!
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Is exactly why I thought of contacting the band. It seemed to me that the article in the Telegraph was very much a one sided comment.
  13. Heather

Heather Member

Ha! just when you think you've heard everything...........
    If its true then its laughable, pathetic, crazy.....etc etc
  14. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Bizarre in the extreme!!
  15. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't know what's going on with bands at the moment. This is the second time in as many weeks (that I know of at least) that bands have been in the news for all of the wrong reasons.

Notwithstanding that we don't know all of the facts in this story, it doesn't cast the movement as a whole in a good light. As interested parties here on tMP, we may eventually get to hear both sides of the story - but it is unlikely that the general public will, so they will just see what appears to be dirty laundry aired in public. Not good. :(
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

True. But to counteract that, I'm sure there are hundreds more good news stories about bands in the local press during the year, it's just that the bad news seem to attract more attention for some reason.
  17. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Undoubtedly, local news papers will be carrying good press. However, I know people (and I'm sure everyone else does too) who only read national newspapers, and never look at a local one. Those people won't get to hear the good news, only the (few) bad news items that somehow make it into the national news.
  18. James Yelland

Almost certainly because this sort of story only appears when someone directly involved in the issue (and often someone with a grievance) brings it to the attention of the press.
  19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I know a little about the intricacies of this case as I'm fairly local and know some of those involved; obviously this is not any substitute for the band's official response. But for clarification, the band has had to spend over 5000 in order to defend itself and obviously hasn't done this through choice!!! My understanding is that the players concerned were not sacked but were initially asked to stand aside for a concert because they had missed rehearsals whilst on holiday.

Obviously if those taking action against the band are successful in court it will set a very dangerous legal precedent for bands (and other charitable organisations) everywhere.

20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes I despair. I simply cannot understand why anyone would be so precious as to "go to the high court if necessary" over being left out of one concert. Of course I only know the facts as presented here and in the article, but I just cannot comprehend this. Its a hobby for gawds sake!

I have been playing with Wigston for over 20 years, and I'm sure if I ever found myself in the same situation I would do one of two things: Put up with it or leave as amicably as I could. The thought of suing the band for wrongful dismissal (or whatever ridiculous charge they're trying for) would never even cross my mind. What do they aim to achieve by this? If they are re-instated by law, they are hardly going to be everyones friend are they? Being that they have most likely ruined the bands finances for the foreseeable future.

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.