Bands in Newcastle????

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by ccorlett7, Jun 20, 2007.

1. ccorlett7

ccorlett7 New Member

hi
    im hoping to come upto newcastle for university and i am looking for a band which i can join. just wandering if any of you know of a friendly 3rd or 4th section band that i could join whilst i was in newcastle, preferably in the city centre.

many thanks
    chris

2. HelenMcBaritone

HelenMcBaritone New Member

Hi Chris,

Dunston Silver Band is just a short hop across the bridge and a lot of our players drive over from the Newcastle side. I've been with the band just over a year after moving up from the North West and what the website says about it being friendly is dead true (link below). Quite a few students have played with the band in the past.

Good luck with your exams anyway and it'd be good to hear from you if you're interested.

Helen

http://www.dunstonsilverband.co.uk/
    (soon to be updated)

3. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

If you are visiting before you come up, why not get down to the ...

Brass Festival in Durham and the Miners Gala and do a bit of networking/friend making there.

Check www.brassfestival.co.uk lots of bands playing in the events there with over thirty in the miners gala alone and Durham is just a short hop 2 stations on the train so if you find a Durham band there then it is not imposible to play with them longer term.

Enjoy Newcastle the North East is not a bad place to study and Newcastle is a happening place!

4. bigcol

bigcol Member

Hijack!:clap::clap::clap:

I've emailed you Chris :)

Colin. (only band in Newcastle!)

5. ccorlett7

ccorlett7 New Member

cheers everyone
    dunston looks to be a decent enough band.
    i got emails of someone saying join their championship section band!!! from 4th section in north west, would this be a massive step?! wouldnt mind the experience, but dont think i would be good enough lol

6. bigcol

bigcol Member

That'll be Greggs then. :biggrin:

7. ccorlett7

ccorlett7 New Member

nah, it was RMT Easington Colliery Band. From Durham i think??
    not sure if i would be good enough to make the step up though.

8. bigcol

bigcol Member

Lol as usual very wrong! Easington are an excellent band, not quite '3rd or 4th' though ;)

There's two problems with the banding up in the North East 1) it is very spread out geographically 2) there are lots of bands wanting players. So you can take your pick really young man - i'm sure all bands will be able to offer transport to get you to the sticks.

notice no-one has asked what you play :)

9. Thanks for the nice comments Colin.:clap: :clap:

10. on_castors

on_castors Member

Sadly the number of bands in the NE is getting less and less - I moved southwards just 10 years ago and the choice is a lot less than it was then :-(

Your original desire for a band in Newcastle city centre is probably the least likely location you would find a band - that probably applies to most Cities now - it feels as though the bigger the city, the fewer the bands, and it is in semi-rural backwaters (like in Warwickshire where my bands are located) that they are thriving!

Felling seems to be the most "city" centre based band in the North East, you could probably just about see the Tyne Bridge from Gateshead Civic Centre where they are based! They are heading up the sections now, so might be at too high a level for what you are looking for, they used to keep me sitting on the edge of my seat even back then, but were a very friendly lot, and I loved my time with them!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Newcastle
    chris
    upto newcastle
    section band
    city centre
  12. ccorlett7

ccorlett7 New Member

which band is near the tyne bridge? that would be a pretty good location for me as its not too far to travel.

13. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Felling is Champ sect from next year and have a healthy band. Why not try Five Rivers I played for them while I was at uni and it was the best thing I ever did. If you are a cornet player why not give their prinicpal seat a try? Or i'm sure they would do a shuffle for you. They have a good 'bus' service with players coming to band from all directions. Easp through the 'toon'.

14. ccorlett7

ccorlett7 New Member

i am a euphonium player, at about grade 7-8 standard.

15. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Im sure Five Rivers would welcome you with open arms.

16. ccorlett7

ccorlett7 New Member

wherebouts are they sistuated?
    which is the band just over the tyne bridge on gateshead side? that sounds an alomst perfect location for me.

17. dave jake

dave jake Member

Dunston and Felling are the two nearest bands to the city centre, about twomiles apart. Dunston are third section and Felling are championship Five Rivers would be your next nearest,they re based at Backworth a small village in North Tyneside about 8 miles from Newcastle city centre.
    I m sure you ll get a warm welcome wherever.

18. murr

murr Member

Hi it would be good to see you at a pracice when you come up to university.
    The band is promoted to the third section from Jan 2008.
    It is also true that we are a friendly band and as well as enjoying playing, there is a good social side to the band too.
    If you fancy coming to see what we are about, I am sure that a lift can be arranged for you.

19. murr

murr Member

OOps i forgot to mention that I was talking about Dunston band

20. bigcol

bigcol Member

There's this gap in the Tyne & Wear area where there are two genuine lower section bands - Five Rivers and Dunston, and then there's a huge gulf to the top and good 1st section with the likes of Felling, Westoe, Greggs and so on.

21. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Geograhically, if you're a student at Newcastle and living in the Jesmond/Spital Tongues/Heaton area then Greggs would probs be you nearest band (if they still rehearse in Gosforth that is).Felling and Dunston would also be close, as would 5 Rivers, based out at Backworth, all of them being only 15 mins drive from the main student areas.

Thats it really for Newcastle/Gateshead Centre, the only other Tyne and Wear band being my band, Westoe who are based in Jarrow which is probs about 25mins from studentland.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Newcastle
    chris
    upto newcastle
    section band
    city centre