Bands in Memphis TN. area...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WoodenFlugel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Hey all,

I'm currently working in Memphis Tennessee and because my colleague has had to fly back early I've found myself unexpectedly alone this weekend. I wondered if there are any brass bands out in this area who are either practicing or have a concert over this weekend. I have a car so I'm OK to drive for an hour or so to get somewhere.

If not for this weekend, then I'd be interested to know if there are any bands around the area - the chances are I'll be out here on several occasions over the next year or so.

Any takers?

...and yes this may be a little sad, but it beats staring at the walls of my hotel room of an evening...
  2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Why would you sit in your hotel...when you could be at BB King's place on Beale street listening to live music?
  3. Bungle

Bungle Member

It's not sad, I went to a band practice when I was in Washington DC and often go and visit other bands when I'm away from home.
  4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

That's all in the spirit of banding! Meeting other people and having a blow and a good time!
  5. WoodenFlugel

Trust me, I've already samples the delights of BB Kings. The band playing on Thursday night were awesome!! :tup

But it ain't the same when you're on your tod - I'm not looking forward to trying to get a table for dinner tonight...

"Table for one please"

"Yes Sir, and will you be eating from our special Valentine's day menu...?" :redface:
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The closest bands I know of are Natural State in Little Rock (about 2.3 hrs away), St. Louis (about 4.5 hrs away) and Huntsville, AL (about 4 hrs away)
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Come on, those American girls will love a wooden flugel
  8. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

The Natural State Brass Band is in Little Rock. We rehearse on Monday evenings. Drop me a PM and I'll give you more details. We would love to have you come by.

9. WoodenFlugel

Little Rock is fairly close by isn't it? (Sorry my US geography isn't great!). Maybe not this Monday, as I have to pick a colleague up from the airport, but I'll definitely look you up next time I'm out in Memphis.

LMAO! :clap:

Sadly I just tried three resturants as its still early doors here (5:15) all three were reservation only tonight. Looks like its a take away pizza tonight then....
  10. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

Little Rock is about 2 hours west of Memphis. Get on I-40 and it's a straight shot. I can give you more specific directions to the rehearsal location when you get ready to come over.