bands in manchester

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by th2_custard, Aug 30, 2009.

1. th2_custard

th2_custard New Member

I am starting manchester university at the end of september and wondered if there were any bands around the university area which i would be able to play in. I play the tenor horn and currently play in a 3rd section band, soon to be promoted into second section.

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Assuming that you would need to rely on public transport, it would be feasible to get to Blackley, Denton, Flixton, Middleton (at a push) or Eccles by bus or tram - there are more that would be feasible by car. Couldn't tell you if any of them need a horn player though.
  3. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

Blackley Band currently have a full horn section, however we would never turn somebody away if they wanted a blow, if you need to keep your lip in or just fancy a change feel free to come along to a rehearsal, we rehearse Mondays and Thursdays between 8 and 10.

I am sure we could sort out some sort of lift as well if required.

PM me or email if you fancy it. I will keep my ears open for anyone looking aswell.

4. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Tyldesley Brass Band are 2nd/1st section band and have players that travel from Salford I think. Check them on 'tinternet
  5. Hi Kirsty,

Eccles Borough Band are within easy travelling distance from Manchester Centre, we also have a few players that already travel from that direction so transport may be able to be organised.

We will have a horn vacancy after the National Finals in 2 weeks due to a player moving on.

We will be third section from January 2010 after a very successful 2009 with wins at Butlins and the North West Regionals.

Please feel free to get in touch
  6. th2_custard

th2_custard New Member

thanks for the replies :)
  7. ericthered

ericthered Member

Try the Timperley Band ( based in Timperley south Manchester. A few miles from the University. Nice people, good standard.
  8. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

If your looking for a blow, Stalybridge Old Band would happily let you play :) 3rd section, good band and great laugh, the oldest brass band in the world. MD is John Binns.
    pm me back if your interested,
    cheers Chris,