Bands in London with Conducting Vacancies?

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by cornetcheese, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Owen S

Owen S Member

Hi Alan,

We're currently looking for a couple of cornets at The Egham Band, and you'd be more than welcome to come along. Egham is very close to the M25 and the band hall is very close to Egham station, which has direct trains to Waterloo station.

I've been playing with them for nine years, and I now live between Waterloo and London Bridge. I commute out, both for work and band, though in different directions, so I can give you some advice: There are few bands in central London. If you really do end up living in London Bridge rather than somewhere nearby and travelling in, you will find it difficult to keep a car, though it is certainly possible. Accomodation around London Bridge is cheap considering quite how central it is, but only given that consideration. If you don't have a car, then you'll be restricted as to which bands you can get to, but even with a car it would be time-consuming travelling across the centre of town to a band in North London. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me.

2. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

So a band within 5mins walk from the central line would be ideal! Oh, hang on a minute..... sounds like the Becs BB! ;)
  3. Owen S

Owen S Member

Well, the TfL journey planner reckons that just over half an hour between the stations, so about the same as us. You're right, not too bad at all. ;)
  4. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Zone One and Alliance, Both Championship section, are based in Central London.
  5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I would recommend Beacontree my uncle is a euph player there and they certainly seem an up and coming band. I also know Graham Sheldon he taught me once a long time ago and he is also a very nice man and a good conductor.
  6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Blimey seems that players in London are so rare that bands now have to fight (metaphorically) for em ;)

seriously, though it's sad it isn't too far from the truth.
  7. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

It sounds very similar to the player shortage in Scotland too! I guess I'll have to wait and see what the sketch is when I move down. At least I know there are a few playing options, although you haven't heard me play yet!!!

I must confess, after my final contest performance with a scottish band at the nationals yesterday, I've realised just how much I'll miss the 3 bands I've been conducting. I hope the same conducting opportunities exist in London! On the up side, I may be taking a band to the Scottish area as professional, however are the L&SC areas on the same weekend? This could be tricky!
  8. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

You're ok, Alan, the Scottish Areas are a week earlier than the L&SC. Incidentally, I know Thundersley (4th Section) were looking for a conductor, dont know if they have found anyone yet. They're down in Leigh on Sea area, about a half hour train journey from Fenchurch Street.

Owen, come and join us too as you're so close, we need a webmaster too! ;)

Oh, and Steve we also need a Sop player as of tonight....! :clap:

The more the merrier! :cool:
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Don't let everyone know who plays for our band, they might not want to join if they know who the Euph player is [​IMG]
  10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Flattered though I am to be offered a spot with such a great bunch of players, I'm afraid it's a little too far for me (right across London!) besides which I'd get lynched if I left YWDB at the moment :biggrin:

Any time you need a dep tho, give us a shout and I'll see if I can help.
  11. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Might hold you to that, Steve! :clap:
  12. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

One wee thing, I don't have my own cornet - flogged it 3 years ago to pay for expenses while i was studying! Every time I've played since I've used a band instrument. Only got my trumpet now. I hope I don't disappoint whatever band I go along too - I may be pish!
  13. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Ah this is Destiny, Alan! ;)

We've just reclaimed back a lovely B&H Globe Sovereign from a former player..... I believe we have another Besson Sov in the cupboard.
    If not, ive just bought a Lark off ebay for £3! ;)
  14. Owen S

Owen S Member

Hehe. Thanks for the offer. You haven't heard me play yet.

And before GJG reads this, this isn't an offer to PM me. :D
  15. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I'll see your sovereign and raise you a Shiny new Cortouis! :biggrin:
  16. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I could go with the lark - at least then I would have an excuse!

Was going to try and aquire a Xeno, tried one at the nationals and was very impressed, although perhaps the police would catch up with me!
  17. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Out of curiousity, where are capital concert brass based in London?
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Can't remember, and their website is down...
  20. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Ooh, I've just remembered! Ealing/Greenford area:rolleyes: