Bands in London with Conducting Vacancies?

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by cornetcheese, Sep 12, 2005.

1. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Bands in London?

Just a quick message to ask if anyone could recommend any bands in the London area? I'm going to be moving there from the end of December and would be looking for a band to play with or conduct. As a conductor, I studied at the RSAMD in Glasgow and have been conducting Shotts St Patrick's Brass (scottish 3rd section champions), Clydebank Burgh and Kingdom Brass. I have also conducted the Bathgate Band and Newtongrange previously.

I am also a cornet player (alledgedly!) and have played with Bon-Accord Silver, Kirkintilloch, Kirkintilloch Kelvin, Newtongrange, Kingdom Brass and Clydebank bands, although I've not played regularly for a wee while, due to conducting commitments. I'd certainly be interested in getting back into playing though when I move!

If anyone has any recommendations, please give me a shout!
  2. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

forgot to mention, I'll probably be living in the vicinity of London Bridge - any bands around there?
  3. Chris Kirk

Chris Kirk Member

Although, we are not near to London Bridge, Welwyn Garden City is about 40 mins from central London to Hertfordshire. Alternatively, someone could probably give you a lift from a tube station in the NW area.

If you are interested, e mail me at

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, you can try any of Crystal Palace Band (2nd section), Fulham (just promoted to 3rd) or Croydon (3rd section). I've played with/conducted all of them. So far as conductors go, I think they're all 'fully booked' at the mo. If you want any further info (like specific contact details), by all means PM me.
  5. kjm

kjm Member

I play with Becontree Brass (1st Section) We are currently looking for front row cornets. We are a very busy band and rehearse on Mondays. We are on the District Line direct from Tower Hill station. Around 20 - 25 mins tube. We are 5 mins from tube station.

We would be delighted to see you at rehearsals. Our band is a very friendly group indeed.

Our conductor is Graham Shledon.

More info via
  6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

From 4BarsRest vacancies..

Posted: 19-Aug-2005
    Aveley and Newham

The AVELEY & NEWHAM BAND Championship L&SC requires a 1st Class Cornet Player.
    National Final-Albert Hall October 2005 and CD recording in November 2005

Apply in confidence to band secretary: Dave Thomas on :07787 528057
    Band Practice Mondays & Thursdays-Aveley Village Hall.
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And that I can vouch for, having conducted them temporarily, too! Apologies for missing them out in my first post.
  8. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Thanks! I won't be in the area for a good few months yet though, so I guess vacancies will change by then. Would be more keen to find some conducting as I'll no longer be conducting the 3 groups I do at present when I move and haven't really had the time to play a great deal over the last few years. Would be nice to play regularly again though!
  9. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Kevin has already mentioned us over at Becontree.

We practice in an old church 3 mins walk from Barkingside station on the central line, about 20 mins from Liverpool St station.
    Practice once a week, Mondays.
  10. chriscole

chriscole Member

Yiewsley and West Drayton Band is about 30 minutes from the centre of London on the main line. The bandroom is 5 minutes walk from the train station.

The band currently has a vacancy for a cornet player.

Graded as 2nd section, we have an active band with some prestigious engagements.

Visit our website for more information:

We rehearse on Wednesdays and Fridays. Please pm me for further details.
  11. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Played with him in Switzeland and played under him at Kingdom. An all round good guy and one of the best young conductors in Scotland. I aint kidding.
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Getting absent minded in me old age, guv! I forgot to mention YWD too (having played with and guest conducted them too!)

Can certainly recommend them... in fact, all of them. Alan, you are truly spoilt for choice! Good luck with whoever you choose! ;)
  13. chriscole

chriscole Member

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated!
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not at all, Chris. ;)

It would be wrong of me to offer opinions as to which one to go for. After all, I have fond memories of all those I've been involved with.... :)
  15. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

Thanks for all the help! Obviously, I can't visit any of the bands now as I am still in Scotland, but it's nice to know there are definately a lot of playing opportunities, although perhaps conducting ones may be more elusive! Beacontree seem to be closest to where I may be staying, but will assess the situation more when I move down.

Thank you for the kind words Alec - I will certainly miss conducting Kingdom (missing them already)! The cheque is in the post!
  16. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

Just wondering how St Patrick's band is doing and what their plans for the future are when you leave?
  17. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I've been discussing replacement conductors with them, but there is nobody specific lined up yet. I really enjoy conducting Shotts band - I've never had such a good run with a band, won every single contest with them, with the exception of Brass in the Park. I hope the luck holds for the nationals!!
  18. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

Good luck with the nationals then!
  19. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

thanks - fingers crossed anyway! as long as it's better than the last time I took a band to the nationals I'll be happy
  20. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Yes good luck ALan hope everything works out well for you when you move away.