Bands in and around Glasgow

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by nicolaforsberg, Aug 18, 2005.

1. So I've just got my A-level results and in September I'm gonna be off to Glasgow. If anyone knows of any bands around there could you let me know. If they're too far from the uni I'd need transport aswell. Thanks a lot.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    results
    A-level
    anyone
    transport
    Thanks
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

A good choice of Uni Nicola. As for bands in and around Glesca you'll be spoilt for choice. Off the top of my head you have

Scottish Co-op - Championship
    Kirkintilloch - Championship
    Kirkintilloch Kelvin - Championship (from 1st Nov)
    Johnstone - Championship (from 1st Nov)
    Clydebank - 2nd
    Barrhead - 2nd (from 1st Nov)
    Renfrew - 3rd (from 1st Nov)

Of that lot I think at least four have recently been advertising for players. Hope you enjoy Uni in Glesca. You can get links to most of those bands from my bands website at http://www.lochgellyband.com/links.php

Moving further afield there are several bands in Ayrshire and Lanarkshire too.

4. splitnote

splitnote Member

Hi there,

we at Johnstone band are always on the look out for new players to come along and have a blow. We have a very busy calander of events coming up including the nationals in harrogate and the Scottish open in November.

Have a look at our website on www.johnstonesilver.co.uk

there are people who travel from Glasgow (which is only 10 / 15 mins up the road) so lifts shouldnt be a problem.

If you want further info pm me.

cheers

laura

5. RacMac

RacMac New Member

Hi Nicola,

We're looking for solo cornets at Barrhead band at the moment, and there is car space available from Glasgow for a lift (mine actually!). As has already been said we'll be 2nd section from November.

We rehearse twice weekly, Mondays & Thursdays, 7.30-9.30pm. If you fancy coming along for a blow when you arrive contact our band manager Sarah Crangle 07803 265463, or email bandmanager@barrheadburghband.co.uk, or PM me.

6. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

there is the johnstone band just outside Glasgow. we are always on the lookout for players.scottish 1st section winners this year and promoted to champ section in october.
    what is your instrument?

7. I play cornet at probably about grade 7/8 standard although ive never done any. I dont really know what section band I'd be looking for. Maybe championship is setting my sights a bit high especially because i wouldnt be around all the time due to holidays and stuff - although i would love to play in a championship section band!

8. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

You would be very welcome to come along and try us out.
    Just get in touch when you are settled in and we will arrange transport for you.
    Gavin.

9. Thanks a lot!

10. euphnut

euphnut New Member

Hi Nicola

I Play Solo Euph for Clydebank Burgh Band, very close to Glasgow and we are very keen to hear from cornet players as that is our weekest section, and has been for quite a while although we have a few good players. All other sections are full but we would really like reliable cornets (holidays etc not withstanding) to join us. I hope you would consider our band and come along even if only to keep your lip in. We are a friendly band with a lot of history and it would be possible to arrange a lift for you. We are playing at the Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow as part of an invitation contest in November. I am in no doubt you could play on the front row. If you are interested you can e-mail me on i.g.webb@btinernet.com or 07788 555057 or contact the band via our website @ clydebankburghband.org.uk. Good luck.

Ian

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'll give Johnstone another shout out as they are a quite friendly and inviting lot!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    results
    A-level
    anyone
    transport
    Thanks
  13. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Well thank you kindly!! We do our best!

14. ignore me

ignore me Member

While we're on the subject,

I might be looking for a Euph/Bari/Last resort Eb bass place around Glasgow. Have played principle Euph at 1st section nationals a few years ago, but would really play for anyone if the beer is right! Anyone with a spare seat let me know!

15. gavinlindsay

gavinlindsay New Member

Give us a call at the johnstone band. All players are made welcome.

16. sazo

sazo New Member

Or you could give us a call at Barrhead, soon to be second section, but come along for a blow and see what you think.

17. wots a crotchet

wots a crotchet New Member

I'd definately give Barrhead a go. I did, a few months ago, and I'm still there. (that's quite an achievement for me). Great bunch of people and a great band to play in... but don't take my word for it....come and see for yourself.