Bands in and around Cardiff

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lisa, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

I have recently moved to Cardiff and am thinking I may possibly join a band again at some point soonish...

I was just wondering if people could fill me in on what bands there are around this area and tell me a bit about them?

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Cardiff.... Cardiff... and you didn't tell me....:(

5. Lisa

Lisa Member

Hehe, yeah I noticed that too and thought it was amusing

Aww, sorry....I had been meaning to reply to your email question of what I am up to these days, but due to moving, working, illness and the general hecticness of everything, I hadn't quite got around to it yet :(

So are there any more bands hidden around Cardiff in addition to the ones mentioned above from IBEW?

6. TheMusicMan

What level are you interested in playing at Lisa, and are you able to travel?

7. Tongwynlais is a small village right on the north edge of Cardiff - they've been contesting for decades (or more), and are currently in the championship section. They have their own band hall and facilities etc.

The Vale of Glamorgan meets in Barry, which is a few miles along the coast to the west. When I played with them in the 80s they were a pretty good non-contesting, community / village fete band.

Radyr & Morganstown band meets in Radyr I think - which is a mainly up-market suburb of north Cardiff. They have reformed and built up from the old Melingriffith, which had dwindled to almost nothing in the late 80s; and they have made big strides upwards in recent years.

There are quite a few up the valleys if you like to travel. BTM is one of many, and one of the best.

8. Lisa

Lisa Member

I have played in 3rd, 2nd and 1st section bands before and would like to eventually be playing in a 1st section or good 2nd section band. However I haven't played for about a year now (apart from the odd tMP thing!) so I just want to try playing in lots of different bands of any section for now - to see what is about and to get my lip back in.

I can travel as far as buses and trains and my feet will take me. I am happy to travel to bands via public transport though as I am an energetic person! :)

9. Naval Nick

Naval Nick Member

What instrument do you play?

10. TheMusicMan

Last I heard; Lisa is a Cornet player... :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi John
    Porthcawl
    :D
    Alan
    Cardiff
  12. Lisa

Lisa Member

Yup, I'm still a cornet player :)

13. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Join Rogerstone, my old band, they also have vacancies for cornet players at the moment! Go on....you know you want to!!:tup

14. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

There's Rogerstone 1st section, BTM Championship, Tongwynlais Championship, Radyr & Morganstown 3rd section, Lewis Merthyr 1st locally 2nd nationally, Newbridge Championship local and 2nd national, Crosskeys 3rd local 4th national. Take your pick. If you want any help with rehearsal day pm me and i will do my best to find out for you.

15. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

BAYV :biggrin:

16. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

hope you find a good band in cardiff and keep the band movement alive:D

17. Brass Fan

Brass Fan New Member

Bands in Cardiff Area

Hi Lisa

Check out Thomas Coaches Mid Rhondda Band - www.mrband.co.uk. We're 1st section Nationally and are advertising for cornet players. Some of the players are from Cardiff so I'm sure lifts would be on offer - we've got Steve Skyes taking us to the Area in March - yeah he's fab! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  18. TheMusicMan

... agree with that for sure. What's Alan doing now then?

19. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Did you use to play solo cornet at Gillingham? Because we (Ton) are looking for a good tutti solo cornet player at the moment. Come up for a blow on 22nd Feb next Thursday if you think you fit the bill. 1st proper rehearsal on area piece.
    Come to Porthcawl contest and see some potential bands in action, and take your pick. That's what I would do!

20. mutedropper

mutedropper Member

Other bands to consider are Cwmaman, Llwydcoed, Tylorstown just to name a few. All very good bands in their own sections, very friendly and hospitable to.

21. alexandria

alexandria Member

Bands in the Cardiff area

Hi Lisa,

I work for the Welsh Amateur Music Federation who financially supports brass bands in Wales.

Through looking at our database, I am able to pull up all the bands in the area and tell you when they rehearse and put you in touch.

If you would like some help, please email alex.james@tycerdd.info

Cheers

Alex

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi John
    Porthcawl
    :D
    Alan
    Cardiff