Bands from my past - are they still around?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by killer, Apr 27, 2008.

1. killer

killer Member

Never mind how many Bands, does anyone know whatever happened to this lot ? who are they now or are they still around ? Appologies to the Bands that are.

I played for the Yorkshire Relish, previously John Waddington Band but i dont know if they are still around nowerdays.

I know its off thread but what the hell.

Andrews Heat For Hire
    Bradford Victoria
    Ireland Alloys
    Queensbury Music Centre
    Sirdar Wakefield
    Yorkshire Main
    Yorkshire Relish
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've split this into a thread on its own as it will hopefully attract more attention, and get some answers to your questions.
  3. robcav

robcav Member

Haworth Band are still meeting, albeit only once per week. They competed in the 4th section at the areas in 2007 but didn't attend this year, though I'm not sure why.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A good place to start looking is here ... a few of the bands on your list are listed as extinct!
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

As far a I know Andrews Heat For Hire became the Stocksbridge Band and Yorkshire Main are now known as Dearne Valley Brass.
  6. markyboy

markyboy Member

I do have a few answers to your questions but its very late and I'm off to bed in a second !

But re Bradford Victoria , I believe they folded sometime in the 1970's but were sort of reformed by Colin Hardy in 1984 ish and became Drighlington Band .

To be continiued .................. Nite All ..............
  7. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Here's what I know -
    Victoria, became Driglington
    Hawley / Hammonds can be traced to the YBS bands
    Queensbury - folded
    Haworth still going.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  8. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Queensbury Music Centre (my old band) have not folded, they still use the same bandroom but the play more as a group.
  9. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Good to here. :clap:
    Appologies to you and Queensbury Music Centre :oops:
  10. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Andrew's Heat for hire did become the Stocksbridge Band, via City of Sheffield band. Previous names of the same band also included Quaker Sutherland and Sheffield Recreation.
  11. leisa

leisa Active Member

yep, i played with them the other week and there is about 10ish of them, including tmp's Supercat on Euph and Billy Rushworth on principal cornet
  12. killer

killer Member

Well thats the start of a cracking band. Good old Queens.

Had a pm from sexy beaver, or was it foxy beaver or maybe little beaver, minds gone i think, anyway, she informs me Yorkshire Relish went the way of Evening Post. Thanks Beaver girl xx

So what about Sirdar, anyone remember them ?. Peter Kitson was the MD i think and i remember them being a very good "old" 2nd section band.

Thanks to everyone by the way.
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

14. markyboy

markyboy Member

Sirdar Wakefield Band started life out as Wakefield Schools Band which included the likes of John Roberts and Duncan Beckley . As they became too old to compete as a youth band they registered as an adult band and were sponsored by the wool company Sirdar and rose through the sections .

I'm happy to be corrected here but after the sponsorship ended , they became City Of Wakefield Band and then Home Charm Paints Band .

Home Charm then merged with Thornhill Band a few years later and were known as Home Charm Paints Thornhill Band ( not too suprising really !) .

The sponsorship from Home Charm ended and they were known simply as Thornhill Band ( which included the likes of RobCav on Solo Euph ) .

Then Thornhill Band merged with Tingley and were called Tingley Thornhill Band .............. ( sorry my head is starting to hurt now ) and formed a youth band after they were given a lottery grant .

The senior band isn't going anymore but I believe Geoff Fowler conducts Tingley Youth Band and they are going strong .

Members of the former Thornhill Band did ( and maybe still do ) still meet up as a small band / 10 piece to do the odd job now and again . I used to help them out many times and they were a great bunch with a fantastic team spirit ( and a pretty decent band as well ! )
  15. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I thought Wakefield Schools Band became Sirdar (MD Peter Kitson), and then became Wakefield Metropolitan (MD Les Hepplestone)
    I also could be wrong.
    - Wilkie
  16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Leeds Model, Cameron Ironworks, John Waddington, Yorkshire Relish, and Yorkshire Evening Post, in that order, were the same band under different sponsorships.
    They did merge with Sharlston Colliery Band about 5 years ago (?), but apparently they now only exist as a 10 piece under the YEP banner.
    - Wilkie
  17. markyboy

markyboy Member

Re The Wakefield Bands , they were two different eras , but not by much .

Wakefield Schools registered as a competing band just few years before Wakefield Metropolitan Youth Band under Les Hepplestone . But they were 2 different bands.
  18. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Not so much of the ONLY thank you Mr Wilx ;)

We are indeed a 10 piece and formed in the winter of 2002 but are still fulfilling a lot of the jobs we had when we were a band and are very pleased to have been able to keep the name and heritage alive in some form or other.

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

My sincere apologies, and my heartiest congratulations at continuing the distinguished line of banding that started with the formation of Leeds Model Band in 1857.
    No, I was not in at the start, only joining as a spotty 14 year old in 1960 and enjoying great success under Peter Kitson and making some lifelong friends.
    Great to hear that you are flourishing.
    - Wilkie
  20. killer

killer Member

Well arent you doing well Mr iancwilx,,,, back from your voyage or matrimony on the sea of tranqulity and upsetting folk on your immediate return.

Glint in your eyes in deed, and how dare you suggest my semi quaver technique is flawed.

I have,,, "for the sad ones among us" Contest programs from Pontins 1980, Loads of bands from my past when i read those.