Bands and Footie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by stevetrom, Dec 30, 2003.

Is the Rio ban fair

1. Yes

2. No

0 vote(s)
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

As brass bands and football are the most important things in my life (ok forget wife, children, etc !) i thought i would try and see how many other banders are in the same position.

United WILL win the title this year of course !
  2. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I have said yes but believe that it is too short.

If he had been banned immediately the test was missed as in athletics, Manchester United and the FA would have had a hearing within 14 days. It's amazing that the length of time to prepare the case allowed him to play in all of the Champions league matches before Christmas and of course now Wes Brown will be fit for the post Christmas matches.

Will an appeal be lodged on January 11th? If so, on what grounds and will the ban be suspended until after the appeal? If so what is the betting that the evidence will take until May to be prepared.

To change the subject. If a 'hypothetical athlete' were to partake of a 'recreational' drug such as cocaine, amphetamines or cannabis it would be out of their system within 24 hours.
  3. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

Celtic will win also!

C'mon the Bhoys!
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The subject of performance-enhancing drugs in sport is closer to banding than some might realise.

Some bandsmen use performance-enhancing drugs - namely, beta-blockers - to control performance anxiety. In my experience it is a minority, but a significant minority who do this, and it is largely confined to contest performances.

I imagine that those who consider contests to be important would want to condemn the practice and lobby contest organisers for random drug testing, as those who pop the pills are clearly gaining an unfair advantage. The sport of snooker recognised this a long time ago and banned this class of drugs - remember Big Bill Werbiniuk and his 'medicinal' lager-drinking? Isn't it about time the sport of brass band contesting put its house in order? As they say, discuss. :shock:
  5. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Back to the original subject:

I hate football with a passion but I hate Manchester United even more.

I was watching room 101 the other night and Ron Atkinson was on there. He said that he hated footballers that moaned about things. I agree 100%. The average football fan pays a large sum of money to watch 22 blokes playing what is supposed to be a game of skill (synchronised diving and championship money spending would be more accurate) and then Mr star footballer who cost the club millions (why?????) moans that he's exhausted or about the press wanting to take photos of them or whatever. To those players I say:

Some of them earn more in a week than your average football fan earns in 5 years. How can that be right??

Personally speaking, I would absolutely love for football to be banned!!!

Another thing that puzzles me. Why is it that at 90% of all football matches, there is a huge police presence and evidence of mindless hooligans who deliberately go to matches looking for trouble?? Can't say I remember that at the last rugby match I saw. Come to think of it, never heard of any trouble when England won the rugby world cup. But I can pretty much guarantee it next time Englands football team play in a major championship.

6. wewizrobbed

wewizrobbed Member

hmm unfortunately think you're right :cry: thank god you didn't use hartson for that photo but. eugh. his uglyness is both legendary and offensive :wow :hammer
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i'm going to controvertial and say it wasn't fair.

it seems that other players (ie. less high profile) have gotten away with a lot lighter sentences for the same "crime". And since he offered to take the test later that day and was refused i think something needs to be done about the procedure.

Also, there are so many instances of players getting POSITIVE tests and getting lesser bans. How does that make sense? How can missing a test be worse than taking drugs?

Oh, and on the subject of drug testing in band contesting... are you kidding? Come on, we're amateurs doing what we love, there's no way we're going to pee in a cup every time we go to contest, the whole thing would collapse around our ears!!
  8. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

argh football
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

From my own personal experience (and only that) I can say this: I took BetaBlockers once many years ago before a contest. I have not taken them since. Why? 'cos it made sod all difference! I was still 'nervous' and knowing my own limited standard of playing I can't honestly say I played any better as a result. Maybe it does give some players an unfair advantage but to me, performing well as a musician is all in the mind. If one practises enough, and is generally confident about one's playing then you'll play well regardless (eventually). I took the Betablockers on that occasion because of self doubt about my own ability to play my solo lines. The Betablockers didn't remove that doubt.

In any case, if you ban Betablockers to stop people gaining an advantage by supposedly feeling less nervous, you will probably have to ban alcohol at contests for similar reasons and in the end, where imbibing is concerned, that's down to the conductor/bandmaster to issue whatever diktats are necessary to say 'no drinking before our performance' or whatever. Performance enhancing drugs in sport are used to gain all sorts of largely physical advantages; increased muscle power, longer staying power etc. etc. All Betablockers do to musicians (I would imagine) is to make them feel less nervous (for those that it works for - unlike me!) Other players have used camphor spirit so that they can't feel as much pressure on their lips (and not just in brass band contesting!). Where do you start and where do you stop?

Nevertheless, I shan't be taking Betablockers again because, as I said, it made sod all difference to my performance at the time. In any case there are too many comparisons with brass band contesting and sport as it is to my mind. Nevertheless, Jim, an interesting topic and one that will no doubt attract many diverse viewpoints.

10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Surely you can't compare alcahol to beta blockers !

Although i have never tried beta blockers i have tried a few beers before a contest and it definitely did not have a performance enhancing effect !

Mind you beer certainly has a post-performace enahncing effect - we're always 'the best band here' by the time the post performace evaluation is in full swing.
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

For the desired effect, namely that some might use either/or to 'calm the nerves', yes. Just my take on it, however (having tried both for that very reason!)
  12. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

What happened to option of "Don't really care"??
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

The ban was 100% fair!

('Cos he plays for Man Ure!!!)

14. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I have actually seen this happen in a past band where the MD (who I will not name) gave betablockers to the solo horn who was a severe asthmatic (major contraindication!) just before going on stage at the Nationals in Nottingham. All done in innocence, but the results could have very easily been fatal.

Rio - 8 months is nothing - and Man U are bound to try every trick in the book to get him out of it, and if they succeed what message does that give out?

Rach x
  15. leisa

leisa Active Member

16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

He broke the rules. He pays the price. Simple.
    And it'll get Jonny Woodgate a chance for Euro 2004 :D
    It is soooo pleasing to see Manure finally get their come-uppance after all those years of referee accosting, dubious penalties at the Stretford End and hypocritiscms over diving etc..........

Mind you, I don't think Rio had anything to hide, he's just so thick he probably didn't realise he had to take the test, or even what a test is!!

However, his cousin "Sir" Les is a gent and legend.

Howay the Lads.

ps. In the future, can you please clarify to which United you are referring? There are several. It is indeed true that West Ham United and Sheffield United are both looking strong in Div 1. Oxford United are looking pretty handy in Div 3 too. Were you referring to any of them?
  17. dyl

dyl Active Member

Do you mean to say that there's more than one 'United'? Surely not! ;)
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Indeed - the one that won the World Cup in 1966! Come on you Irons!
    As for the ban - if you break the rules, you pay the price.
    Any disagreement with this and I'll get my new mate Tomas "Hit Man" Repka to come and discuss it with you :wink:
  19. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I quite agree! :lol: :wink: :twisted:
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think on balance that the ban was a sensible compromise, in the light of the blatant failure of the testing system to deal with this situation. They obviously need to rewrite the rules to cover instances such as "failure to take a drug test" as well as refusal to take a test. I also think they should place the onus on the club to ensure that, once selected, the player does attend. They should also be chaperoned from the moment their name is chosen, as happens in other sports, to ensure no attempt is made to take anything that could affect the result.

Once the rules are rewritten, then the punishment should be as severe as those for other sports, even if it means an extended or even life ban. They should also do something to ensure that matters are speeded up, to prevent any manipulation by the club as to when any ban should start.