BandRoom Injuries

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Naomi McFadyen, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

After doing my left hand in before rehearsal on Thursday I was wondering whether anyone else had similar experiences either before, during or after rehearsal...
    It has to have happened IN the bandroom though ;-)

I did my hand in by pushing some tables out the way and trapped the side of my thumb; which swelled and bruised up almost immediatly... Laughed at first.... then it was really starting to hurt! lol... I tried to play before the rehearsal started but I couldnt do it...
    Although we rehearse in a hospital, there's no A+E department... a call was made to Wigan Hospital and there was a 3 hour waiting list to be seen :? Mad eh!...
    So, a bag of frozen peas it was! and a beauty of a bruise :D which is changing colour every hour... :lol: pretty!

Driving home was fun! (ouch!!!)

Any stories anyone would like to share?

2. Railybobs

Railybobs Member

Whilst i was at Tyldesley, one of the commedy pieces they played had various bird calls, whistles etc etc etc... Following a section that sounded very much like the Blue Danube several duck calls were made until the kit player (ie myself) played a rimshot to simulate a gunshot and feathers were thrown into the air from offstage.

I opted for the single stick strike as apose to laying a stick accross the rim and striking that. In the process my for-finger was still comfortably wrapped around the stick just in the place where the stick was to meet the metal rim. Instead of a bang you got a slightly muffled crunch.

Fortunately it was in rehearsal so my mild mannered swear words weren't heard by an audiance.

I hope you hand heals up.
  3. fartycat

fartycat Member

A conductor once kept on at me for a triangle note that he said wasn't loud enough. Unsatisfied with my selection of tri beaters, he came to one rehearsal with a thick iron bar about a foot long scavenged from the local tip and told me to hit it with this.

I did but the weight caught me off balance, I missed the triangle, hit my finger and broke it.

And that was the last time I ever listened to a conductor about choice of mallets.... :lol:
  4. shedophone

shedophone Member

Has to be percussionists. lol
    I'm forever tripping over our daft tam-tam stand.
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Some years ago, during a rehearsal, one of the second horns was having trouble with water in the second valve slide, which wouldn't budge. After several times of (noisily) attempting to blow it through the horn, she handed the instrument to our euph player, who attempted to pull the slide. After a couple of hard tugs, the slide suddenly and violently moved. Unfortunately, his hand was in the wrong position when this happened, and the water key on an adjacent slide went through his finger - all the way through (the horn was a Sovereign - those who have one from the 80s will know that the water keys have a quite sharp edge). We had to remove the slide from the instrument (still attached to the finger) and the band secretary took him off to the hospital to have it (the slide, not the finger :wink: ) removed.
  6. Naomi McFadyen

i have another one... :lol:

I seemed to go through a time of catching myself whilst playing kit...
    on one occassion, I was playing ticket to ride, to find at the end a nice red trail of blood going down my hand :shock: where I had, (somehow?!) caught it on a cymbal or something...

Another time when I was in Saltash band; we were doing a CD recording and, again, manage to keep catching myself on the kit... ended up with about 6 plasters on each hand... Dunno how I managed it!!

So, I always carry plasters in my stick bag now... just in case... funnily enough though, I havent caught myself since I've been doing this... :roll:

EDIT: note to self... buy mini first aid kit for stick bag... :mrgreen:
  7. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Last year the solo horn player with Tullis Russell fell out a taxi after a night out the week before a contest and burst her lip quite bad--she managed on the day but looked in pain :oops:
  8. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

You're just clumsy - is all! :wink:

I once stabbed myself in the ear with my baton! Don't even ask! Bled for quite a while, and lost my hearing in said ear for a couple of days - all healed up now though!
    ..............Who said that?!?!
  9. Naomi McFadyen

How on earth did you manage that?!?!

10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Let's just say I do a mean 4th beat!
  11. Naomi McFadyen

12. Di

Di Active Member

Not in the bandroom but ..

One of our players, at home, dropped something and when he bent to pick it up, managed to catch himself on a music stand. It had the "head" folded down and he caught the pole on top right in the eye, thus needing 6 stitches in the eye. oooh nasty. :cry:
  13. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Well, apart from the class ic "Jamming your finger inbetween the slide and 1st position", I spilled Macaroni sauce on my hand flying out the door when my ride arrived and reminded we had orchestra rehearsal....that hurt for a month...
  14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Nothing much in the bandroom ... but injuries nonetheless ...

#1 - Mouth ulcers in arkward places making buzzing painful.

#2 - Gash on inside arm near elbow (still got!) which presses against instrument when using 4th valve, causing a fair amount of discomfort ... ouch!
  15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Clydebank own their own bandroom - which is accessed by descending a steep stone staircase from the roadside. I was carrying a box of stands down with my friend (she was in front) when i stood on a stone and my ankle turned over. In a bid not to squash my friend I kept hold of the stand box and took rather nasty scrapes down my legs as I slid all the way to the bottom. Went to watch a gig after the rehearsal with big cuts all over my legs... :? I still have scars to this very day!

16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Only one thing hurts more than bashing your conducting hand against the side of a metal conductors stand, and that's the sound of thirty people lauging at you as you writhe around in agony...

17. asteria

asteria Member

At least you know everyone at some point has caught their finger while collapsing a music stand!
  18. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I fell over a tamtam stand when depping on concussion for Ever Ready... :oops:

Rach x
  19. Moy

Moy Active Member

Was doing a Xmas concert with one of my schools.
    Went onto the stage in the dark to put some music on a stand and also to put my trumpet on it's stand.
    The stage was on 2 levels went to step down and the bottom level had moved away from the top section - right foot went crashing down and I heard crack, crack, crack...broke 1 bone chipped 2.
    The worse bit was the audience were about 5ft in front of me and as I hit the ground I let out a few oaths that were caught on video and I am so scared they end up on one of those TV progs. :oops:

The only damage to the trumpet was a chipped mouthpiece.
  20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

A former flugel player with our band managed to go head first off the stage at a contest. The seating was very close to the edge of the stage and the conductor asked us all to pull in closer. Of course one of the legs of the flugel players chair was off the stage and when he sat down.......aaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

He got up and was fine but the flugel looked like dizzy gillespies trumpet and we had to borrow one from another band.