Bandroom acoustic - help required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sparky, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Sparky

Sparky Member

Our band rehearses in a miners welfare hall. The hall is about 15m long, 8m wide and 8m high. It has a balcony over one end of the hall (it used to be used as a cinema). The walls, ceiling and floor are all hard surfaces. The acoustic is very 'wet', ringy and friendly to the band and can hide problems with ensemble. We have tried playing under the balcony, which is about 5 m long, 8m wide and 3m high (the band just fits), which gives a slight improvement but we really need to make the acoustic 'drier'. We think that we would be able to improve the acoustic by carpetting the floor and screening off the area under the balcony from the rest of the hall. Anything we use must be portable and easy to install as other groups also use the hall. Has anyone any experience of using screens for this purpose? Or has anyone any other suggestions which might help us to improve the acoustic?

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Carpet worked for us. If it has to be temporary, might be worth considering several manageable pieces which members can bring/takeaway.

One tip (born of experience!): when you roll them up, fold them in half first ...

3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Carpet worked for us too.

We went one step further and carpeted halfway up the walls, (and on the undersides on the chairs for some reason?!)....and put massive thick curtains up.

I played in one bandroom where they'd stapled(?) duvets to the walls and ceilings.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There are a couple of concepts that you're dealing with here which bottom out on reflections vs diffusion vs absorbance.

Carpet will essentially reduce the reflectivity off the hard surfaces and will deaden the room down to an extent, but it can be frequency dependent.

In terms of acoustic absorbtion carpet on walls is next to useless, but it can act as a mild diffuser.

Duvets (and I mean the thick ones rather than the flimsy smart price type things) are used when you actually want to attempt to absorb some of the sound rather than just scatter it.

All of which are much cheaper than doing it with acoustic products, albeit a little more Heath Robinson.

5. We have moved to a new band room and rehearsal room and we have a similar problem. We lay carpet down which helps but we are looking at maybe making some acoustic boards to see if the help.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a good list/descriptions of sound proofing materials here. Then again, as Keith has mentioned already, they are expensive. You could try this ...

7. KMJ Recordings

I wouldn't :biggrin:

I'm sure I've debunked eggboxes on here before somewhere.....

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Insurance companies probably wouldn't endorse them either but they do have a use, so legend says!

9. Despot

Despot Member

Carpet will help a lot.

We found once the carpet was down, most of the remaining bounce will came off the walls and particularly the roof. We curtained on one wall above 8ft to the roof (30ft) and it worked. Below that had no effect. Furniture, carpet posters, even the players themselves will deaden it low down anyway.

May not sound obvious, but once the carpet is down try experimenting blocking the balcony rather than the space under the balcony. It's the sound bouncing around the big empty space above you that may be the problem.

10. KMJ Recordings

Change legend to myth ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bandroom
    m wide
    m high
    floor
    balcony
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've noticed over time that the technique seems to work best with other materials jointly, which seems to lessen the actual proof of diffusion or attenuation for egg cartons alone.