Banding & The Weather!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Jan 5, 2013.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Because more extreme weather is being forecast for years to come, how much of an impact will this have on many players who travel a fair distance to attend rehearsals?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    players
    extreme weather
    fair distance
    years
    rehearsals
  3. agent006

agent006 Member

It depends on the band I suppose. Lower sections will tend to attract players from a smaller area, whereas the bigger bands will draw from further afield.

From our band's position, as a lower-than-4th-section community band, is that it wouldn't affect rehearsals all that much. It does however affect our gigs as we play almost exclusively outdoors. Bandstand gigs tend to be paid if you turn up and stand around for an hour, unable to play in the pouring rain, but we've yet to need to test what happens if the band is kept away due to flooding.

We were fairly lucky in 2012 that we only had one fete job cancelled due to the poor weather. If there were a larger number of jobs cancelled then we would really suffer financially. Also a good dosing of snow is able to wipe out income from a year's carolling.

4. pbirch

pbirch Member

I'm not sure that distance is really a consideration, I live only about 6 miles from band, there are 2 roads liable to flooding that would prevent me getting there, as they would if the journey was 60 or 160 miles, I'm sure that no one is expected to take unreasonable risks to get to band rehearsals when travelling conditions are truly hazardous, unless there is a band whose motto is "turn up with your tuba - or on it" (apologies to the Spartans)

5. ben16

ben16 Member

Impact will be zero.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

That's either an ideological predictive statement on climate change or an assertion that banders will overcome any worsened weather in the name of ambition. If the latter, as someone who once turned down a move to a good band partially because of the winter conditions en route, I challenge it. If the former, I'll roll my eyes privately so you can't see them, and leave your response well alone.

7. ben16

ben16 Member

It's neither, I'm answering the question at face value. I just think it's fairly obvious that the impact will be nil.
    Surely you had some more important real reason for not joining this band?

8. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Where I live if there's even a sniff of snow you can't get out of the estate, so we're frequently snowed in. I don't think it will impact greatly on our band as most live much nearer; it'll just cost a couple of deps for concerts if me and the boy are snowed in. Fortunately (touch wood) we're so high that the potential of flooding isn't great :cool:

9. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Was it North Pole Welfare Silver Band Dave ?

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Townie?