Banding self-assessment.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Every player has a party-piece that they're proud of, and certain aspects of playing that they really like - but in our heart of hearts, we also all know that there's some part of our game we aren't the finished article at.

I suppose my strengths would be tuning/intonation - as I adjust quickly to those around me to make sure my sound is blending not rubbing, low register - which is one of the bits of bass-playing I enjoy most, and stylistic sympathy - as I find it easy to adapt my playing style to the genre/type of music we're playing.

My weaknesses? Well, I've not got the fastest fingers in the world, that's for sure. Bits of 'Devil' are really going to test me. Secondly my sound's not the biggest. It's nice and warm all the way up to middle dynamics but I struggle to maintain that warmth at higher dynamics - and my higher dynamics aren't all that high. And I'm an apalling sight-reader.

As the old saying goes, the first step to solving a problem is admitting that there is one. I was just wondering, what does everyone perceive as their own strengths and weaknesses as a player?
  2. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Strengths :

Sight read Fairly well.
    Utility player, can do a reasonable job on anything from Horn downwards
    Tone, Intonation and Tuning all acceptable.

Cant play very fast sections.
    Cant get anything over top C.
    Cant Triple tongue for long.
    Cant play a Cornet/Flugel where the part gores over top F.
    Cant play Bass Clef (Cant transpose thats the real problem).
    Cant play long Phrases - Need to breathe too often.

negs outweigh the pos' by a long mark :(
  3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I rarely miss a rehearsal or concert - arrive early, set up and warm up
    Can read treble and bass clefs
    Play trombone and tenor horn

How long have you got? :icon_rolleyes:
  4. agentorange

agentorange Member

My name's Neil, and i'm an Wrong forum? Oops!

Strengths - Sound, range (especially upper), style, confidence, awareness of my weaknesses!
    Weaknesses - Sight reading, 3rd finger, lung capacity, not enough practise.
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Can play loud
    Can not play when it's not loud
    Can blow water out if it's too high/quick

Can play loud
    Can not play when it's not loud
    Can blow water out if it's too high/quick
  6. winterman

winterman Member

Jack of all trades (brass wise)

Master of none!
  7. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

As an ex NUT rep, I have spent years advising colleagues not to put any weaknesses that can be used against them in appraisal, in writing;-)
    As a player, like many others, where do I start?
    Strengths? The older I get, the less I have: Sound, tone, reliable under pressure.
    Weaknesses: my sight reading is pathetic at times, especially anything to do with semi-quavers+. (cataracts have not helped!)
    Breathing - had a major lung op' at 19, got away with it for years, now struggling to complete extended phrases and maintain a full sound. People who don't know me think I can't phrase, I just need sympathetic assistants! Never been a problem on stage!
    Finally, knowing when to step down from the top-seat. Can't play 'bumper', love the euph too much to change instrument.
    Tried retiring at 40, then again at 50 - looks like 60 then!!:)
  8. mozartgirl

mozartgirl New Member

Strength,s. Lovely full tone.technique second to none.awesome triple and double tonguer.

Weakness. Struggle to play above the stave and weak on concerts/contests.

Tevez ,north lancs
  9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Strengths: Sight reading, volume (both ends) fast playing, slow playing, range (both ends)

Weaknesses: Transposing, inability to drive a car.....knowing when to shut up
  10. monody

monody Member

Strengths: Beautiful sound, excellent articulation, great range, wonderful musicality.

Weakness: I'm a liar
  11. Miss Saxophone

Miss Saxophone New Member

Strenghs: Range, lovely mellow sound(or so i've been told!), not too bad at sight reading, determination to succeed!

Weaknesses: Timing is appalling, trying to play it too fast too soon, being able to tune my instrument properly :)
  12. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Made Me Laugh!
  13. Miss Saxophone

Miss Saxophone New Member