banding scene - manchester/glasgow/edinburgh

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by *Lucy*, Dec 27, 2004.

1. *Lucy*

*Lucy* New Member

I've heard from ucas that i have offers for manchester, glasgow and edinburgh unis and i'm completely stuck when it comes to choosing where i want to go. I guess that the brass band scene in these areas is going to have an effect on where I choose to go in the end but I dont really know much about the bands south of dundee... Can anyone tell me what the opportunites are like for getting involved in bands in these cities?
    Thanks, Lucy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    edinburgh
    manchester
    glasgow
    banding scene - manchester
    bands south of dundee
  3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

manchester is a really big banding place, there are quite a few bands within manchester (i think) and lots not that far from manchester. you could venture into either yorkshire or lancashire, for a band easily from manchester. there are lots around, you wouldnt be stuck for a band!!

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Can only speak for Manchester but as Drummergurl says it is a massive banding area here. You wouldn't be short of finding a band whatever section/level you are looking for.

5. *Lucy*

*Lucy* New Member

Thanks for that :) Can you suggest names of a few bands?

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Greater Manchester Greenalls Brass Band - Ashton in Makerfield
    Astley Youth Band - Astley
    Bolton Citadel Band - Bolton
    Bolton Music Service Brass Bands - Bolton
    Smithills School Brass Band - Bolton
    Cadishead Public Band - Cadishead
    Chadderton Band[​IMG] - Chadderton
    Flixton Band - Davyhulme
    Denton Brass - Denton
    Diggle Band - Diggle
    Dobcross Silver Band - Dobcross
    Dobcross Youth Band - Dobcross
    Eagley Band - Eagley
    Greenfield Band[​IMG] - Greenfield
    Irlam Brass - Irlam
    Bedford (Leigh) Band - Leigh
    Leigh Silver Band - Leigh
    Besses o' th' Barn Band - Manchester
    Blackley Band - Manchester
    Moston and Beswick Manchester Band
    - Manchester
    RNCM Brass Band - Manchester
    Heywood and Middleton Youth Brass Band - Middleton
    Middleton Brass Band - Middleton
    St Michael's Brass Band - Middleton
    United Norwest Co-op Milnrow Band - Milnrow
    Mossley Band - Mossley
    Northenden Silver Band - Northenden
    Boarshurst Band - Oldham
    Oldham Brass 97 - Oldham
    Oldham Music Centre Youth Brass Band - Oldham
    Besses Boys Band - Prestwich
    Reddish Prize Gorton Silver Band - Reddish
    Queen Elizabeth School Brass Band - Rochdale
    Rochdale Music Service Brass Bands - Rochdale
    Salford University Brass Band - Salford
    Shaw Band[​IMG] - Shaw
    Shaw Citadel Brass Band - Shaw
    Stalybridge Old Band[​IMG] - Stalybridge
    Tottington Public Brass Band - Tottington
    Tyldesley Band - Tyldesley
    Walkden Band[​IMG] - Walkden
    Wardle and District Anderson Brass[​IMG] - Wardle
    Wingates Band - Westhoughton Bolton
    Old Hall Brass - Wigan
    Pemberton Old Wigan Brass Band - Wigan

7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

yeah the list bens given you, has quite a number of bands on it, but if you wanted to venture outside of the greater manchester area, theres bands like glossop, BT, theres hundreds!

8. *Lucy*

*Lucy* New Member

That's really helpful. I actually have family in Flixton so i may pop in for a rehearsal next time im down! Does anyone know if urmston and davyhulme band still exist? My mum played with them when she was my age!

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

LOOAAAAADS of bands in and around Manchester (more than Bens little Greater Manchester list...) thats ya place for the banding scene... all the best with the decision.... I'm making decisions about certain things myself, only for *after* univeristy life! :shock:

:)

10. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

The urmston and davyhulme band (can't remember the full now) folded a while ago. I play for Flixton band, PM me if you would like any further information, our website is www.flixtonband.org.uk :biggrin:

11. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

If you decide to come to Manchester, come along to Flixton for a blow anytime! We rehearse on Mondays and Thursdays at 8pm, directions to the bandroom are on our website. You will be made to feel very welcome.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    edinburgh
    manchester
    glasgow
    banding scene - manchester
    bands south of dundee
  13. Naomi McFadyen

yup! I'll back up what Mr Kelly here says.... I've helped Flixton out a number of times and they are a top bunch! :-D Very welcoming indeed..... :tup

14. *Lucy*

*Lucy* New Member

thanks, you're all so helpful! The invitation sounds like one i might have to take up!

15. Naomi McFadyen

Blackburn and Darwin are very welcoming too :p

in fact... most of the bands I've been involved in up in and around Manchester are very nice.... but then again, I'm sure there's a reason when you're not a member of a band, and looking around etc :lol:

;-)

16. jonford

jonford Member

A very good list, but spotted Leigh Silver. Unfortunatly this band folded a few years ago but Ellenbrook & Boothstown and Tyldesley band are both friendly bands in the area!

17. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Hi Lucy,

I'm at Edinburgh Uni, and will be the first President of the University based Brass Band which will be formed next month. You won't have heard of it - yet! It is still an unknown quantity, and will still be in its infancy come September, but there are a commitee who are dedermined to make the band a success. Once I have everything finalised I'll be putting up a new thread.

Joining a Uni band means that you are going to meet many new people, in your age-group, with a common interest. I'm planning a couple of concerts and socials and stuff, and will have something (dunno what yet!) in the freshers fair.

If you are interested, you can let me know (here or by PM), I'll send you info as and when it's available. Oh, and what instrument do you play?

18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Thank you for your kind comment. But please, less of the Mr! Call me Brian. I know it makes a change for you young whippersnappers to show some respect for your elders, but I am not that ancient!

(I would put a smiley here to show I am joking, but since the format of TMP changed my aged brain has not been able to work out how to do it)

19. lister89

lister89 Member

You won't be able to choose.. there's soo many! I'd wait til you get here tho before agreeing to sign for anyone, each bands totoally different! Go to a few different rehearsals then decide.

20. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

as seen in previous lists Manchester has plenty of bands. A lot depends on whether you have transport or not.

You will always receive a warm welcome at Denton which is easy travelling distance from Manchester city centre even by public transport.