Banding or relationship?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ben.gernon, Apr 4, 2004.

?

You have to go one up: Banding or relationship?

1. Relationship

50.0%
  2. Banding

50.0%
  1. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

A really tricky question:

Your wife/girlfriend (or husband/boyfriend) issues you with an ultimatum saying that if you don't give up banding they will leave you, what would you choose? Your relationship or banding? :twisted:

2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm tuffy this one! :?

I really dont know what id do if it came to this. luckily, karen (my wife) knew from day one that i loved brass banding, and said that she would do everything to help me. and to this day she has been true to her word. She even has holidays, or swaps shifts, if there is a band job coming up so that i dont have to worry about it.

i wouldnt like to be in anyones shoes who has to make a decision like this.

3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I prefer option 3: only have relationships with other banders! :wink:

4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

If a girlfriend stands up and says that I have to quit banding, I wouldn't make the decision straight-away, but I'd comfront them demanding to know why I should give up a hobby I love for them.

If there happens to be no fruit from that then I'd be tempted to leave such a cold-hearted person unless they can give me a good reason why I should give up ... but if I loved them very dearly that in itself would be a very tricky thing to do.

Personally, I just hope it never comes to that.

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

i choose band!! :eek:

oh, well, any single band affiliated girls out there? :lol:

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Very tough one this... :?

I don't know...
    I'd like to hope (and think) my boyfriend wouldn't say anything like that... and I doubt he will...
    Having said that though, he hasn't experienced a band rehearsal yet... but in a few weeks!!!! (then he'll prolly say he doesn't like them! :lol:)
    I'd probably try and think of an ultimatum that I could through back at him though! :twisted:

ps: reminds me of that daddy or chips ad! :lol:

;-)

(Voted relationship)

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Absolutely no contest. My wife is more important to me than the band. However, if the choice was between Celtic or relationship...........

8. paddo

paddo Member

Having been there twice before I can answer that with total honesty, dump'em.

I made sure that for my 3rd and last wed'!!! that Jo ( who i adore) lived 20 miles away, was 10 years younger, and played in a brass band. (This was something i stateted to my best mate while under the influence)

I think the latter is the most needed. The comitment needed is far greater than any of us understand!

Marry a bands person and give me a call for the wedding photos!(I'll do you a good price)

:lol:

9. winterman

winterman Member

For me the "right one" would never put me in that position and those that would then "Adios Senorita.. Feel free to slam the door on your way out!!!!"

Having successfully remained a batchelor since before I joined the banding fraternity I am glad to say I won't have to face this question in the forseeable future.

I would make it clear from the start that banding is not just a hobby but a way of life. I wouldn't stop her going clubbing every weekend with her mates (or whatever females get up to these days) and she wouldn't stop me banding (unless it was of dire importance of course like saving the world from alien invasion, even then I'd think twice).

There are only two things that come between me and banding and they are work (which does quite well on that front) and a festival I haven't missed in 20 odd years (since I was a sprog) one weekend a year.

I agree with the others that a banding partner would be a major positive but I have yet to be sober enough at contests to persue that route!! :guiness :guiness :guiness :guiness

Mic Tyler (A commited bandsman - or one that should be anyway)
    Principal Euphonium
    Drighlington Band

10. Despot

Despot Member

Answer: "Of course I love you more, but if you really love and care about me, you wouldn't ask me to do it!" :wink:

It's also the truth......... :shock:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    boyfriend
    husband
    girlfriend
    issues
    Banding
  12. Theres a shortage of good-lookers in my band at the moment so I guess the 'only date a bander' option is seeming pretty desperate to me.

I guess I'd choose banding over a complaining girlfriend.

13. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

IF she's complaining now, do you want to be with her longer??????

Also agree that currently there is a shortage of even halfway decent chicks over the age of 15 in my band. However I am currently feeling that maybe I need to find someone who isn't in band.... heaven knows she'll want the time away as much as I do!!

14. Yeah okie is right. Any hot brit chicks on the forum keen on a Sunny Tropical lifestyle?

15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Advantage I have is that the current Mrs C plays in the band! However the previous holder of the title Mrs C issued a similar ultimatum, band won she lost! Biggest winner was the solicitor.

Joke!

Wife: I'm fed up with you are always at football. In fact you love Norwich City, more than you love me.

Disgruntled husband: Listen with your recent attitude I love Ipswich more than I love you.

Feel free to edit with appropriate band names or football teams to suit taste!

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Maureen Cameron hasn't complained yet, so come on down!!!

17. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I'm very lucky that my partner insists I still go to band. Whether it's because she knows I enjoy my banding or whether she wants a break from me, I'm not so sure. :roll: :shock:

18. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Me too :wink: :lol:

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I don't think I'd ever get in a relationship with someone like that... but I like to think I'd try and spend as much time as possible with my partner, and not neglect them for band all the time... sometimes you do have to say no to a social for a date with the missus!

20. Have to say my wife and 9 week old son come 1st no matter what. ok, she knows all about how banding is as she used to play and doesn't mind me going, but if she asked me not to go for a while or just go once a week then i would.

I know she'd never ask me to stop completely.

21. Relationship, every time

Now if you said alcohol ...

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    boyfriend
    husband
    girlfriend
    issues
    Banding