banding = life?!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Mar 10, 2004.

1. shud it b that a band can sack u if ur not 100% attendance?, shud banding b more like an occupation rather than a hobby?, shud band b so important that it runs ur life, leaving u no time 2 do other things? duz any of u feel that if u miss a rehersal, u might lose ur seat the next day?, do u feel that if u dont practice enuff, u might lose ur seat immediately?, does banding pressure u in2 doing stupid things? do u feel band has 2 take top priority over everythingelse, just because the band says so?, or implies it?

every1 plz b honest with this subject, it is currently something which is badly bugging me, and plz no stupid answers like "if u feel that way, quit banding", or "if bandings so bad, kill urself", etc, those msgs i will get deleted by an admin. or mod.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    u in2
    u dont practice enuff
    shud band b
    urself
    ur life
  3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

To be honest, I think the system is rough, but understandably so.

If you played social football with an unbeaten team, would you want some new guy who is so uncoordinated it isn't funny taking up a role? Would you want your captain to be someone who comes when he's in the mood? What does his absences do to team morale??

When I first started playing in Gladstone, and even now I conduct it, I had to get used to having players away. When they are away, it was always accepted their parts would be missing, sometimes ruling out any hopes of seriously rehearsing it, depending on the part. When I switched to A grade, my conductor, if he knew in advance there'd be a gap, he'd fill it. Sometimes the move would be temporary. Other times it would be an "audition" for permanancy.

My flugel player demanded his seat when he joined the band, and my predecessor allowed it. Now I suffer when his work keeps him away from band during contest preparations. Now we have 4 weeks until contest, and he can't play his part. IS that fair to the little boy playing second because I needed that spot filled? What if I said the little boy on 2nd was capable of playing better than my principal?

I would hate to take a spot off a player because he wasn't working hard enough. However, when I start getting comments from the rest of the band, I know it's time I do something. After contest........

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i think there is a certain workload associated with being a successful musician and part of a successful ensemble. I think it's understandable to miss the odd rehearsal if you have other things on, but then again I think most of us would try to arrange things around rehearsals and concerts. Even people in 5-a-side teams say to me "oh I can't do wednesday, that's my footie night" so I don't think it's something specific to banders. Really though, if you feel that pressured at band, someone there is probably doing something wrong...

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I know that the rules of this forum don't require contributors to use standard English - but it would make messages a lot easier to read :?

6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

The situation as I've encountered it in the comparatively few years that I've been playing in bands, is that your priorities are expected to be increasingly focused on your band as the standard of playing rises.
    This should also include the time that you spend with your trumpet at home. This is logical, however, as personal pride should dictate that you would not wish to be the worst player in the improving band, as you might feel the seat with your name engraved on it pulled from under you.
    I've also found that your conductor and colleagues are much more prepared to endure your shortcomings if your attendance is commendable. I can't think of many other past-times that demand as much of your personal time, but conversely, none that reward so highly.
    The influence on your priorities should be based on your friendship and respect for the people sat around you - not wanting to disappoint them without extreme cause. This, and the satisfaction gained from your own improved playing.

My advice:- find a band of a standard that allows you to carry out your other activities in comfort.
    If you wish to improve the level of your personal performance, aim for a better band, but be prepared to sacrifice all but a little of your spare time.

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I think at some levels band is definitely more like an occupation than a hobby! How many other hobbies do you know where people are obliged to practice constantly and turn out to regular rehearsals if they want to be any good at it and not let the other 20+ people down?!

If the band is full or has players fighting for seats, then imho you can't expect to keep your seat without turning up as often as possible and working hard. It all depends though - on the priorities of the band, how well endowed they are with players, the reasons a person has for missing, and how often it happens. If someone was letting the band down a lot without good reason, then their position should quite rightly be under question. Its not hard to figure out what the level of commitment abnd rehearsal schedule will be like when you decide to join a band!

As far a sability goes, I do feel that anyone who isn't practising/can't play their part probably can expect to lose their seat, myself included, IF there's someone better/harder working available, and imho I think anyone who doesn't think this could happen (at least a little bit) is either unbelievably arrogant or dumb (or bankrolling their band! :wink: )

8. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Not sure what relevance this has to be honest!! :roll: :wink:

9. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Um...amateur football teams, cricket teams, rugby teams, any other sports teams you can think of, formation dancing........you can fill in the rest yourselves, really.

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I agree with WellWorthIt. It depends on what your band expects from you, and what you expect from your band.

And also in agreement with WellWothIt's second point, not sure that it matters either!!

11. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

It seems that it does matter according to all the spam e-mails I receive these days.

Regards

Big Bob

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    u in2
    u dont practice enuff
    shud band b
    urself
    ur life
  13. Trigger

Trigger Member

I think that commitment is a big thing and if there are people that cannot be bothered to turn up regularly and are continually letting the band down then they should be concerned about their position. It makes it extremely difficult for a conductor and the rest of the band to rehearse if parts are constantly missing. Obviously there are exceptions, for example if you have to be late or miss a band rehearsal because of work, family problems or school/college/uni once in a while then that is acceptable. If someone has proved to a band that they are committed and have made the effort to turn up to most if not every rehearsal/job, then the band should make exceptions if you miss the odd rehearsal.

There is a difference between commitment and letting the band take over your life. If it is the case that because of work it is impossible to turn up to rehearsals and engagements regularly, then clearly you may have to take a back seat and have an arrangement with the band that you will help out as and when needed. With this type of arrangement though, you cannot expect your band to keep your position open to you on the off chance that you may turn up.

14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

With players people, how well endowed they are with players. :roll: Minds in the gutter, the lot of you!! :lol:

Fair 'nuff, I was thinking along the lines of crafts, guides and scouts etc. but really you kind of help prove my point (ta!) - because all of the "hobbies" you mention are, like bands, dependent on performance and teamwork, and people making the commitment to be there. I think its more a way of life than anything.

15. Agreed...can you use more understandable language. Absolutely no offence intented...it just reminds me of going to school and seeing graffitti scribbled all over desks.

But the topic... It's personal opinions I guess...I like making band my top comitment...if you're working, change shifts, if you can't, call in sick. Alot of people in my band don't though, and often people don't show up simply because they don't feel like it. It's always frustrating to me to see a depleted rehearsal scene, because I know much I like to extend myself to be available to play. I guess the ideal situation would be where you get to play in a band that all have the same opinions on what is an acceptable comitment level. Of course this is an occurance that only a few bands will ever have the pleasure of experiencing...for the rest of us, I guess you have to do the best with what you have going for you already.

16. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Hear, hear!!

The 'text-speak' reminds me of Vicky (?) in Little Britain.

17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As bands achieve a higher standard then the commitment level they expect is greater, and quite rightly so. I think alot of the political things that happen in bands are due to players who want the "glory" of playing in a higher section but don't want the graft that needs to come with it. That said I know of a few top section bands locally that are as friendly as you could imagine, but seem to achieve results from a good sense of team spirit, rather than a "hire and fire" policy.

I answer to your question, no, generally I don't feel any pressure that A.N Other will be sitting in my seat at the next rehearsal (how's that for tempting fate!), but I always put myself under a lot of pressure to play better and be a better bandsman, probably more than our conductor would do. This pressure makes me practice a part I can't play until I can (mostly) and also makes me attend evey rehearsal and job that I can possibly make.

I think you need to tailor the commitment level you feel comfortable with to the level of band you play for. By that I mean it's no good signing for a top section band if you don't want to spend hours practicing parts, and days on end attending rehearsals.

I'm interested to know, did you start this thread because you've been shunted off your part? :?

18. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

haha :D that is the best sketch ever...

mod: back on topic please

19. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

20. i dont give a turd about u ppl who dont like txt type, this thread is about band in conjunction with life in general.

neway in answer 2 a question asked in this thread, no ive not been shunted off my seat, but ive recently been questioned about my committment 2 the band, in about 9 months of being with the band, ive missed just 1 practice and 1 job, but 4 the job i got a solid dep in, a former wingates trombone player, more recently i got asked 2 do a gig which i wud b paid 4, this set of gigs went on thru out the week, the band had an agm and wot was thort 2 end up being a short half hour rehersal, im not currently employed so i wasnt really able 2 turn down such a good opportunity, especially as it was a type of gig ive neva done b4 and so the experience gained, aswell as a good pay pack, was wot attracted me 2 the job, there r a few other reasons out of banding which r y ive started this thread, and there r other musical things which i wud like 2 do in banding, eg conducting, but playing is primary at the moment and prolly will b 4 a fair amount of time, but 4 instance, toby bannans band that he conducts, dinnington, a good upandcoming band who have just done quite well in the 3rd section this time, things must b busy 4 toby as he is a top bass trombone player in a successful top band, toby if u c this thread, how much time in a week 4 instance do u get 2 do things out of banding?, hope this is a full enuff answer 2 the question in question.

21. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

That's cool - just remember us old gits don't always keep up with you young trendy folks! :roll:

Rach x

22. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

Text type is fine on a phone, but when you have a full keyboard it's just as quick to talk properly :?:

Back on topic .....

We have a player who has been with the band for 20+ years but for the last 3 years has had to work shifts. This has meant that he could only make one week in four. This was fine in the second section but since being promoted back to the first we have had to bring in another player. He is still with us but not playing for the areas.

It is difficult.